Trend Micro adds Facebook scanner to mobile security suite
The software will check a user's Facebook settings and offer suggested improvements
IDG News Service - Trend Micro is adding the often confusing world of Facebook privacy settings to a new version of its flagship security software.
Version 3 of the company's Trend Micro Mobile Security, available for Android users this week, will check a user's Facebook settings and offer advice on changes intended to help keep personal information secure.
More than a billion people use Facebook, often sharing private and intimate moments of their life that can provide a wealth of information for about their lives. More than a third of users profess to not knowing much about the site's privacy settings and often share things in public without realizing it, said Greg Boyle, a marketing manager at Trend Micro.
Trend Micro is also offering the Facebook security software available as a free stand-alone app, Privacy Scanner for Facebook.
In addition to virus and malware scanning and protection against phishing, the paid version of the software also includes a data back-up service that can include the phone's photos, music, calendar, videos, text messages and call history. The first 50MB of back-up space is free and an additional 5GB will cost $2 per month.
Trend Micro Mobile Security version 3.0 costs $30 and is available now on Google Play.
The software was announced at the Mobile World Congress exhibition, which is taking place all this week in Barcelona.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts