ZTE considering eight-core smartphones for the future
Handset maker is targeting high-end smartphone market
IDG News Service - Chinese handset maker ZTE said it will consider releasing smartphones built with eight-core processors in the future as the company prioritizes the high-end market this year.
ZTE plans to launch before mid-year in China so-called "super phones," which will be loaded with quad-core processors from Nvidia's new Tegra 4 chips. But in a statement on Monday, the company said it would even look at using eight-core chips to build phones with faster processing speeds.
"Speed means that as much as possible we will have dual-core, quad-core or even eight-core platforms in the future," said He Shiyou, ZTE's head of mobile devices division.
It's unclear to which vendors ZTE will turn to provide the eight-core processors. In January, Samsung announced such a chip, called the Exynos 5 Octa, that essentially works as two quad-core processors packaged together as one. The chip promises to offer faster processing speeds, along with better power efficiency to save on battery life.
ZTE, better known as a low-end handset developer, was the fifth largest smartphone vendor in the fourth quarter, according to research firm IDC. But its market share remains small at 4.3% and trails far behind larger rivals Apple and Samsung.
Growth for the Chinese handset maker, however, continues to soar, with its smartphone sales up 100% in 2012 from the previous year, the company said on Monday. By 2015, the company aims to become one of the top three handset manufacturers.
At this week's Mobile World Congress show, ZTE will launch another model as a part of its "Grand" series of high-end phones. Earlier this year, the company unveiled its flagship ZTE Grand S phone, which comes with a 5-inch HD screen, and a quad-core processor from Qualcomm.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts