Samsung launches Android-based media center HomeSync
Up to eight users can connect their smartphones and tablets to device, which can also be used for home monitoring
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics has introduced the Android-based HomeSync media center, which can be used to watch movies, play games and also provide private and shared storage.
The HomeSync is Samsung's latest big bet, according to the company. The box is powered by a 1.7GHz dual-core processor, has 1TB of hard drive storage and is based on the "Jelly Bean" version of Google's Android operating system.
Users can download games and video content from both Google Play and Samsung Apps. Content, including 1080p home movies and photos, can also be streamed wirelessly from a smartphone or tablet to a TV.
Supported video formats include MPEG-4, WMV 7 and 8 and DivX, the company said in a blog post.
Android-based devices with NFC can be connected by being placed near the HomeSync. Thereafter images, music and other files will be automatically uploaded. HomeSync can handle up to eight users, and they can have up to six devices each. The uploaded content can be shared with others, or stored in an encrypted and password-protected private area.
Up to four IP cameras can be connected to HomeSync, as well, allowing users to remotely monitor their home and receive alarm notifications.
The HomeSync will be available from April in a few countries at first and then expand globally, according to the blog post. No international price was given, but Samsung Sweden said it will retail for $500 including local VAT.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!