Microsoft joins list of recently hacked companies
The software giant said it was hit with a similar hack to that used against Facebook and Apple
IDG News Service - Microsoft has disclosed that it recently fell victim to the same type of cyberattack that targeted Apple and Facebook.
"During our investigation, we found a small number of computers, including some in our Mac business unit, that were infected by malicious software using techniques similar to those documented by other organizations," the company said on its Security Response Center website Friday.
"We have no evidence of customer data being affected and our investigation is ongoing," it said.
Apple and Facebook were both targeted via a vulnerability in Oracle's Java platform, and Microsoft said Friday it was hit by a similar attack.
"This type of cyberattack is no surprise to Microsoft and other companies that must grapple with determined and persistent adversaries," it said.
The Times, the Journal and Apple each pointed at China as the source of the attacks. Twitter didn't say where it thought the attacks originated but urged 250,000 of its users to change their passwords.
China has denied involvement in the attacks.
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Opportunities and Challenges of the Cloud In this report F5 poses questions to IDC analysts, Sally Hudson and Phil Hochmuth, on behalf of F5's customers to better understand the...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!