Microsoft joins list of recently hacked companies
The software giant said it was hit with a similar hack to that used against Facebook and Apple
IDG News Service - Microsoft has disclosed that it recently fell victim to the same type of cyberattack that targeted Apple and Facebook.
"During our investigation, we found a small number of computers, including some in our Mac business unit, that were infected by malicious software using techniques similar to those documented by other organizations," the company said on its Security Response Center website Friday.
"We have no evidence of customer data being affected and our investigation is ongoing," it said.
Apple and Facebook were both targeted via a vulnerability in Oracle's Java platform, and Microsoft said Friday it was hit by a similar attack.
"This type of cyberattack is no surprise to Microsoft and other companies that must grapple with determined and persistent adversaries," it said.
The Times, the Journal and Apple each pointed at China as the source of the attacks. Twitter didn't say where it thought the attacks originated but urged 250,000 of its users to change their passwords.
China has denied involvement in the attacks.
- Who's Spying on You? You're aware of the threats of malware to your business but what about the ever-changing ground rules? Cybercriminals today are launching attacks against...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Malware and Vulnerabilities White Papers | Webcasts