Facebook reports Page Insights bugs, fix on the way
The issues could give rise to inaccurate Page activity data
IDG News Service - Facebook is working to correct a series of technical glitches it recently discovered in its Page Insights service causing erroneous activity data to be reported for administrative pages on the site.
The bugs, which were uncovered following an engineering audit, have affected the tool's organic and paid impression and reach reporting analytics, Facebook said Friday in a blog post.
Impressions and reach are metrics that administrators can use to monitor and assess how people are engaging with their Pages on Facebook. Impressions measure the number of times a post from a Page is displayed; reach measures the number of people who received impressions from a Page post. The tools, which provide a service similar to Google Analytics, are an important element in users' site activity forecasts, projections and data reports for clients.
It is not clear, however, how many users have been affected by the bugs, or over what period of time. Facebook did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
But, "we are taking this very seriously," Facebook did say in the post. "We know that accurate data is fundamental to building and improving your Facebook presence," the company said.
The company began rolling out fixes to the problem Friday morning and will continue that over the weekend. "As soon as we found the bugs our engineering team began work to resolve them as quickly as possible," Facebook said.
The severity of the bugs' impact will vary from Page to Page and day to day based on a number of factors such as when and how frequently users post, Facebook said. The total reach for most Pages is expected to stay the same or increase, the company reported. Users are also likely to see an increase in paid reach if they ran News Feed ads.
To assess the impact on their individual pages, the company is instructing users to look at their organic, paid and viral reach and impressions for their Page and for posts over the next few weeks, starting Feb. 25.
Page Insights won't be able to be backfilled with historical data because the bugs have impacted Facebook's logging systems, the company reported. Only reporting, and neither delivery nor Ad Insights, were affected by the bugs, according to Facebook.
Certain quality and verification measures have already been put in place to prevent future bugs and resolve them quickly, Facebook said.
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Best Practices for Securing Hadoop Historically, Apache Hadoop has provided limited security capabilities. To protect sensitive data being stored and analyzed in Hadoop, security architects should use a...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!