Facebook reports Page Insights bugs, fix on the way
The issues could give rise to inaccurate Page activity data
IDG News Service - Facebook is working to correct a series of technical glitches it recently discovered in its Page Insights service causing erroneous activity data to be reported for administrative pages on the site.
The bugs, which were uncovered following an engineering audit, have affected the tool's organic and paid impression and reach reporting analytics, Facebook said Friday in a blog post.
Impressions and reach are metrics that administrators can use to monitor and assess how people are engaging with their Pages on Facebook. Impressions measure the number of times a post from a Page is displayed; reach measures the number of people who received impressions from a Page post. The tools, which provide a service similar to Google Analytics, are an important element in users' site activity forecasts, projections and data reports for clients.
It is not clear, however, how many users have been affected by the bugs, or over what period of time. Facebook did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
But, "we are taking this very seriously," Facebook did say in the post. "We know that accurate data is fundamental to building and improving your Facebook presence," the company said.
The company began rolling out fixes to the problem Friday morning and will continue that over the weekend. "As soon as we found the bugs our engineering team began work to resolve them as quickly as possible," Facebook said.
The severity of the bugs' impact will vary from Page to Page and day to day based on a number of factors such as when and how frequently users post, Facebook said. The total reach for most Pages is expected to stay the same or increase, the company reported. Users are also likely to see an increase in paid reach if they ran News Feed ads.
To assess the impact on their individual pages, the company is instructing users to look at their organic, paid and viral reach and impressions for their Page and for posts over the next few weeks, starting Feb. 25.
Page Insights won't be able to be backfilled with historical data because the bugs have impacted Facebook's logging systems, the company reported. Only reporting, and neither delivery nor Ad Insights, were affected by the bugs, according to Facebook.
Certain quality and verification measures have already been put in place to prevent future bugs and resolve them quickly, Facebook said.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts