Alcatel-Lucent appoints former Vodafone exec Michel Combes as CEO
Combes will lead an effort to decide what kind of vendor Alcatel-Lucent wants to be, according to analysts
IDG News Service - Alcatel-Lucent's board has appointed Michel Combes as the company's new CEO, following Ben Verwaayen's recent resignation.
It only took the Alcatel-Lucent's board two weeks to appoint a new CEO after Verwaayen's plan to step down became public earlier this month. Combes will take over on April 1, and will also join the company's board of directors, if shareholders approve at the company's annual general meeting on May 7.
Combes served as head of Vodafone Europe, where he was also a board member, and has worked at France Telecom.
His departure from Vodafone was announced in May last year, when it was revealed he planned to take over as CEO of French operator SFR -- but the move never materialized. SFR put out a statement in May announcing the appointment, but this was followed by a new statement a few months later confirming a different CEO following a management shake-up.
Getting a CEO who knows how operators think could be good for the struggling network equipment vendor.
"The idea of bringing on board an operator executive has some good rationale behind it," said Mark Newman, chief research officer at Informa Telecoms & Media.
The news of Verwaayen stepping down came as Alcatel-Lucent reported a fourth-quarter net loss of 1.37 billion euros (US$1.81 billion) at the end of a challenging year that saw the company swing from a profit during 2011 to a loss.
The company was taken off guard by the rapid move from CDMA to LTE in North America, a weakening GSM market in China, and the economic situation in Europe, Chief Financial Officer Paul Tufano said during the conference call presenting the results.
Combes will now have to lead an effort to decide what kind of vendor Alcatel-Lucent wants to be, and find a clearer direction for the future, according to analysts.
So far, the company hasn't gone through the same restructuring effort that competitor Nokia Siemens Networks has. It shed a number of units and laid off thousands of employees, according to Sylvain Fabre, research director at Gartner.
"The question is what the company's is strategy and how is it going to get there. Alcatel-Lucent is still at the point where it needs to formulate what the hard decisions it needs to make are, and then execute aggressively on that," Fabre said.
Newman agrees: "It is interesting to see that Nokia Siemens, even though it is still early days, seems to have had a gentle recovery by streamlining and simplifying its business," he said.
Alcatel-Lucent has said it is now planning to sell some of its units in the next 18 to 24 months. Combes' knowledge of the industry as well as his experience of business and financial transformation will be pivotal in helping the company pursue an aggressive transformation, it said in a statement.
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- The Next Generation Employee Experience This white paper from IBM, showcases five organizations that are strategically integrating emerging social software and tools with their existing investments and seeing...
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Management White Papers | Webcasts