Intel acquires appMobi for HTML5 developer tools
The Pennsylvania company will continue to offer its cloud services to mobile app developers
IDG News Service - Intel has acquired appMobi's HTML5 developer tools division and hired its tools-related technical staff, to likely boost its presence in the mobile apps developer market.
AppMobi in Lancaster, Penn., will now focus on its other business of delivering cloud services for mobile apps, it said on Thursday.
The company will position itself as a "pure play" cloud services company that is focused on delivering mobile app engagement and monetization services across native iOS, Android, Windows 8, and HTML5 on desktop and mobile.
The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. Intel could not be immediately reached for comment.
Existing users of the development tools will be migrated to Intel's systems following a one-time re-registration with Intel, appMobi said. There are no usage or licensing fees for using the tools. Developers have to visit Intel's developer zone for HTML5 to access the appMobi tools which have been renamed, appMobi said. Users of cloud-based tools will be able to access their work files as well.
AppMobi claimed in October to have more than 130,000 active developers working on mobile and desktop apps using HTML5.
The company did not disclose how many of its staff would move to Intel, but said they would be based in Lancaster.
AppMobi's plans to continues to offer its cloud services, which are charged, to the developers. The post-deployment cloud services include user-authentication, in-app payments, rich-media push messaging, user analytics, and live app updates, it said on its website.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- Mobile Device Management Policy Best Practices This white paper explores ten policy best-practices for secure and compliant enterprise mobility.
- Mobile Data Security: Finding the Balance Bring Your Own Device has changed the rules for corporate security on smartphones and tablets. Companies need to find the right balance in...
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Managing a Mobile Workforce Learn how this biotechnology company used a mobile device management solution to help secure data accessed by over 125 employees globally.
- Sametime 9.0 Demo Showcasing a simplified user interface for desktop, web and mobile clients, IBM® Sametime® V9.0 is energizing today's enterprise with high definition, real-time communications. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts