Intel acquires appMobi for HTML5 developer tools
The Pennsylvania company will continue to offer its cloud services to mobile app developers
IDG News Service - Intel has acquired appMobi's HTML5 developer tools division and hired its tools-related technical staff, to likely boost its presence in the mobile apps developer market.
AppMobi in Lancaster, Penn., will now focus on its other business of delivering cloud services for mobile apps, it said on Thursday.
The company will position itself as a "pure play" cloud services company that is focused on delivering mobile app engagement and monetization services across native iOS, Android, Windows 8, and HTML5 on desktop and mobile.
The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. Intel could not be immediately reached for comment.
Existing users of the development tools will be migrated to Intel's systems following a one-time re-registration with Intel, appMobi said. There are no usage or licensing fees for using the tools. Developers have to visit Intel's developer zone for HTML5 to access the appMobi tools which have been renamed, appMobi said. Users of cloud-based tools will be able to access their work files as well.
AppMobi claimed in October to have more than 130,000 active developers working on mobile and desktop apps using HTML5.
The company did not disclose how many of its staff would move to Intel, but said they would be based in Lancaster.
AppMobi's plans to continues to offer its cloud services, which are charged, to the developers. The post-deployment cloud services include user-authentication, in-app payments, rich-media push messaging, user analytics, and live app updates, it said on its website.
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!