MIT aims to boost robot-human synergy
Computerworld - With robots increasingly being used on factory floors and elsewhere, researchers are looking for ways to help humans work better with their electromechanical counterparts.
Scientists at MIT say the answer is cross-training: Humans and robots should switch jobs to learn how they affect each other's work.
"People aren't robots -- they don't do things the same way every single time," said Julie Shah, head of MIT's Interactive Robotics Group, in a statement. So there's a "mismatch between the way we program robots to perform tasks in exactly the same way each time and what we need them to do" if they are going to work with people.
A lot of work has been done on the safety issues that must be addressed when robots and people work together. But, Shah said, more research needs to be done to make robots smart and flexible enough to work more effectively with humans.
To advance research in that area, Shah and MIT doctoral candidate Stefanos Nikolaidis built an algorithm to allow robots to learn from people, so humans could show the robots how they want their jobs done.
After the cross-training, MIT reported, humans and robots worked together in teams 71% more efficiently and the time that people spent waiting for robots to complete tasks dropped by 41%.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!