Obama touts IBM-backed tech education program
Computerworld - In his recent State of the Union address, President Barack Obama had some nice things to say about tech vendors, specifically drawing attention to Apple, IBM and Intel.
The president praised Apple for its plan to begin "making Macs in America again," and Intel for its $5 billion chip plant in Arizona.
But of the vendor initiatives that he mentioned, the most revolutionary may be an IBM-backed program that aims to make IT professionals out of high school students. Called P-Tech and based in Brooklyn, N.Y., it's a high school-community college combo. Its principal, Rashid Davis, said he was "surprised and happy" about the high-profile shout-out.
But, Davis said, the point the president made didn't apply to P -Tech alone. "The high school diploma is no longer enough," he said, stressing that people need higher levels of education to support families.
In his speech, Obama noted that countries like Germany "focus on graduating their high school students with the equivalent of a technical degree from one of our community colleges."
That's what P-Tech does. Its 227 students can concurrently pursue high school diplomas and associate's degrees in an IT disciplines.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Government/Industries in Computerworld's Government/Industries Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts