Silent Text app for iOS allows encrypted file transfers with self-destruct option
Every file is encrypted with a unique key, Silent Circle says
IDG News Service - Silent Circle, a startup company that provides encrypted mobile communication services, released a new version of its Silent Text app for iOS that allows users to exchange encrypted files at the push of a button. The files can be set to self-destruct.
Silent Circle currently offers two mobile apps for encrypted communication called Silent Phone and Silent Text, but plans to add Silent Mail in the future as well. As their names suggest, these apps can be used for secure voice and video calling, secure text messaging and secure email. A fourth app Silent Eyes is available for computers and can be used for encrypted video and voice teleconferencing.
The current and future apps are free to download, but can only be used with a subscription to Silent Circle's service that costs US$20 per month.
All of the communications pass through Silent Circle's servers, but they do so in encrypted form. The data is encrypted locally with keys generated on the devices. The company doesn't have access to them so it can't see the actual content.
Silent Circle's main goal is to put the security in the user's hands, said Jon Callas, the chief technology officer of Silent Circle. "The apps make sure that all of the security controls are with you and that we don't have any way to read your data. We can't read your texts, we can't listen in on the phone calls. Everything gets destroyed when the call completes."
With the newly launched version of the Silent Text app, users now also have the ability to attach files and their geographical location to text messages. The files can be documents, pictures, movies, audio recording, map locations -- basically anything that can normally be sent with an iOS device.
There is currently a 65MB per file size limit in order not to overload the service, but this is expected to be increased in the future, Callas said.
The user can also use a "burn notice" option that will automatically delete the file and the message it's attached to from both the recipient's device and his own device after a configured period of time, so that there are no forensic traces left.
Each file is encrypted with a unique key that gets deleted when the message is destroyed, Callas said.
While there are other tools to encrypt files and exchange them, this is often too complicated for non-technical users. One of the goals of these apps is to remove the complexity associated with encrypted communication, Callas said.
"The apps look pretty much like normal apps," he said. "The texting app looks like the normal texting app. You use it like you would use the regular texting app. We remove all the complexity for you."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All iOS White Papers | Webcasts