Adobe releases emergency patches for Reader and Acrobat
The security updates address two critical vulnerabilities already being exploited by attackers
IDG News Service - Adobe released emergency patches for Adobe Reader and Acrobat 11, 10 and 9 on Wednesday that address two critical vulnerabilities being actively exploited by attackers.
The exploit was discovered by researchers from security firm FireEye in active attacks last Tuesday and was confirmed by Adobe one day later. It's particularly dangerous because it bypasses the sandbox anti-exploitation mechanism in Adobe Reader 10 and 11.
"Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Reader and Acrobat XI (11.0.01 and earlier) for Windows and Macintosh, X (10.1.5 and earlier) for Windows and Macintosh, 9.5.3 and earlier 9.x versions for Windows and Macintosh, and Adobe Reader 9.5.3 and earlier 9.x versions for Linux," the company said Wednesday in a security advisory. "These updates address vulnerabilities that could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system."
Users should update their Adobe Reader and Acrobat installations to the new versions released Wednesday as soon as possible. These are Adobe Reader and Acrobat 11.0.02, 10.1.6 and 9.5.4.
"Users on Windows and Macintosh can utilize the product's update mechanism," Adobe said. "The default configuration is set to run automatic update checks on a regular schedule. Update checks can be manually activated by choosing Help > Check for Updates."
Before releasing the updates, Adobe recommended that users of Adobe Reader 11 turn on the Protected View feature as a temporary mitigation to the existing exploit by choosing the "Files from potentially unsafe locations" option under the Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced) menu. This is a protection mechanism only in Adobe Reader 11, but it isn't turned on by default.
Adobe Reader Protected View only allows a single function and that is to view a PDF document, said Heather Edell, Adobe's senior manager of corporate communications, Wednesday via email. "Turning Adobe Reader Protected View on by default would break existing workflows customers rely on and result in unexpected impact on a very significant number of users."
"That being said, we have been working closely with customers and partners since the release of Adobe Reader Protected View on finding ways to make these additional protections a default at some point in the future without the negative impact on such a large number of users," she said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts