Operators set stage for international Wi-Fi roaming
Network assessments will lead the way as operators look to offer users simpler access when travelling
IDG News Service - International roaming between carriers' Wi-Fi networks has come a step closer, with AT&T, Boingo Wireless, NTT DoCoMo and Orange completing network assessments as part of the Wireless Broadband Alliance's new interoperability program.
Mobile operators have come to see public Wi-Fi as an important part of their networks as their customers generate increasing volumes of data traffic. But processes for users to connect to and roam on to Wi-Fi networks are still fragmented, according to the Wireless Broadband Alliance (WBA).
By defining a blueprint for Wi-Fi roaming, carriers will better understand how to integrate their networks to support roaming with greater consistency and efficiency, the WBA said on Wednesday.
Following the initial launch of the Interoperability Compliancy Program (ICP) in December, operators have done a self-assessment analysis to gauge their own readiness. They looked at areas such as authentication, network discovery and selection, access security, information exchange and charging models.
Based on that, the WBA has been able to create a set of compliance guidelines, offering different support levels to operators, it said. The guidelines will simplify network aggregation and global roaming, benefitting operators and consumers, according to Bjorn Thorngren, vice president international markets at Boingo.
The work led by the WBA may make international roaming easier to implement, but that hasn't prevented operators from already signing deals. This week, AT&T signed a roaming deal with the Cloud in the U.K. In December, NTT DoCoMo and Boingo announced a partnership that allows NTT DoCoMo users to access Boingo's hotspots and vice versa.
In addition to the above mentioned operators, China Mobile, KT, PCCW, Portugal Telecom, Shaw Communications, Smart Communications and True are also taking part, according to the WBA.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts