Japan's NTT Com goes on global data center offensive
The company said it has opened data centers in the U.S., Singapore and the U.K. as part of its expansion strategy
IDG News Service - NTT Communications, the IT arm of Japan's main telecommunications operator, is aggressively expanding its data center operations outside the country as part of a push to offer its cloud-hosting services worldwide.
The company has opened new data centers in Singapore, the U.K., and in Virginia and California in the U.S., it said Wednesday. It plans to open three more in Australia, Malaysia and Thailand next month, in addition to its existing facilities in Japan and Hong Kong.
NTT Com is a subsidiary of massive NTT in Japan, and has traditionally handled the telecommunications company's infrastructure and long-distance operations. NTT Com is a major operator of data centers in Japan, and is making a push to bring its technical knowledge abroad.
The company is pushing its "Enterprise Cloud" platform, launched last year, which stresses replacing physical servers with virtual machines. NTT Com has been able to leverage its reputation and deep industry connections at home, and hopes to replicate that success abroad.
The company says that its cloud service was the first to incorporate the OpenFlow protocol, which allows network paths and settings to be determined by software.
OpenFlow is an open standard backed by the Open Networking Foundation, which was launched in 2011 by industry heavyweights including Facebook, Google and Microsoft. The standard is also increasingly supported by hardware makers, including Cisco Systems, Hewlett-Packard, and IBM.
NTT Com cut server numbers for several of its clients, shifting the load to its cloud hosting. NTT Com parent NTT is also the parent company of NTT DoCoMo, Japan's largest mobile operator.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!