Japan's NTT Com goes on global data center offensive
The company said it has opened data centers in the U.S., Singapore and the U.K. as part of its expansion strategy
IDG News Service - NTT Communications, the IT arm of Japan's main telecommunications operator, is aggressively expanding its data center operations outside the country as part of a push to offer its cloud-hosting services worldwide.
The company has opened new data centers in Singapore, the U.K., and in Virginia and California in the U.S., it said Wednesday. It plans to open three more in Australia, Malaysia and Thailand next month, in addition to its existing facilities in Japan and Hong Kong.
NTT Com is a subsidiary of massive NTT in Japan, and has traditionally handled the telecommunications company's infrastructure and long-distance operations. NTT Com is a major operator of data centers in Japan, and is making a push to bring its technical knowledge abroad.
The company is pushing its "Enterprise Cloud" platform, launched last year, which stresses replacing physical servers with virtual machines. NTT Com has been able to leverage its reputation and deep industry connections at home, and hopes to replicate that success abroad.
The company says that its cloud service was the first to incorporate the OpenFlow protocol, which allows network paths and settings to be determined by software.
OpenFlow is an open standard backed by the Open Networking Foundation, which was launched in 2011 by industry heavyweights including Facebook, Google and Microsoft. The standard is also increasingly supported by hardware makers, including Cisco Systems, Hewlett-Packard, and IBM.
NTT Com cut server numbers for several of its clients, shifting the load to its cloud hosting. NTT Com parent NTT is also the parent company of NTT DoCoMo, Japan's largest mobile operator.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Top 5 Reasons for Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery There is no question that every business wants to protect their operations from downtime and loss of data. But many companies don't have...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts