- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Henry J. Sienkiewicz
A massive agency relocation prompts an opportunity to redesign support
Computerworld - Delivering a competitive advantage is a matter of national security for Henry J. Sienkiewicz, vice chief information assurance executive at the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA).
The scope and complexity of the task are significant: DISA has more than 7,000 civilian and active-duty employees and hosts approximately 1,000 applications. Sienkiewicz, 49, who took his current post last May after two years as DISA CIO, focuses on cyberstrategy, security, policy and workforce development. He also makes the final determination as to whether systems are cyber-ready. Layered onto that, he says, is his agency's duty to be a good steward of the public's money.
One of the most significant projects that Sienkiewicz has led during his time at DISA is the agency's move from the Washington area to its new facility at Fort Meade, Md. He described it as "the orchestrated delivery of a $90 million IT infrastructure." It was also an opportunity to redesign how DISA supports its internal infrastructure.
"Mr. Sienkiewicz's strengths include his sense of work ethic and mission focus, and his ability to rapidly analyze complex problems and create actionable plans," says Mark Orndorff, DISA's chief information assurance executive.
Sienkiewicz says his plans for the future include developing a "more highly trained cyberworkforce at all skills levels, and for all functional areas."
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Management White Papers | Webcasts