- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Henry J. Sienkiewicz
A massive agency relocation prompts an opportunity to redesign support
Computerworld - Delivering a competitive advantage is a matter of national security for Henry J. Sienkiewicz, vice chief information assurance executive at the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA).
The scope and complexity of the task are significant: DISA has more than 7,000 civilian and active-duty employees and hosts approximately 1,000 applications. Sienkiewicz, 49, who took his current post last May after two years as DISA CIO, focuses on cyberstrategy, security, policy and workforce development. He also makes the final determination as to whether systems are cyber-ready. Layered onto that, he says, is his agency's duty to be a good steward of the public's money.
One of the most significant projects that Sienkiewicz has led during his time at DISA is the agency's move from the Washington area to its new facility at Fort Meade, Md. He described it as "the orchestrated delivery of a $90 million IT infrastructure." It was also an opportunity to redesign how DISA supports its internal infrastructure.
"Mr. Sienkiewicz's strengths include his sense of work ethic and mission focus, and his ability to rapidly analyze complex problems and create actionable plans," says Mark Orndorff, DISA's chief information assurance executive.
Sienkiewicz says his plans for the future include developing a "more highly trained cyberworkforce at all skills levels, and for all functional areas."
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 10 Hot Big Data Startups to Watch
- 11 Unique Uses for Google Glass, Demonstrated by Celebs
- How to Export Your Google Reader Account
- How to Better Engage Millennials (and Why They Aren't Really so Different)
- Telltale signs of ATM skimming
- 20 security and privacy apps for Androids and iPhones
- Big screen con artists: 7 great movies about social engineering
Today, many government agencies – civilian and defense – find themselves in a technology quandary: the volume of data that must be stored is growing rapidly, while shrinking budgets are limiting capital expenditures (i.e. – servers, storage devices, etc.) required to store all of this data.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Federal IT Innovation Caught in a Catch-22
- Fed resources shoring up old infrastructure, holding back new technologies.
- Deliver Customer Value with Big Data Analytics
- Big Data requires that companies adopt a different method in understanding today's consumer. Read this white paper to learn why Big Data is...
- Cloud Analytics for the Masses
- Learn the best practices in building applications that can leverage volume, variety and velocity of Big Data for organizations of any size.
- An Interactive eGuide: DDoS Attacks
- In today's world, Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks on organizations are becoming more prevalent. The number of attacks are increasingly annually with...
- The Total Economic Impact of Mimecast's Unified Email Management (UEM) Solution
- This research provides a framework to evaluate the potential financial impact of unifying your email management in the cloud. Learn More. All Government IT White Papers
- 3 Reasons Why Sepaton is the World's Fastest Backup Solution
- Leading analyst, Storage Switzerland learns how Sepaton backs up and deduplicates massive data volumes while maintaining the industry's fastest performance - all in...
- Virtustream (Vayence) video taking a 3000-Seat SAP Environment to the Cloud
- How can public cloud services help your organization reduce costs and increase security for your mission
- Williams & Fudge on Transforming IT with EMC
- Watch Williams & Fudge Data Center Director Phillip Reynolds discuss why this accounts receivable management firm turned to EMC.
- The Success Network: Driving Business Forward
- The communications and connectivity infrastructure of your organization is the focus of this KnowledgeVault Exchange, sponsored by Comcast Business.
- Advanced Voice Solutions for Your Business
- How can hosted business class voice services help mid-sized business be more agile, competitive and ready for growth? All Government IT Webcasts