- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Denise L. Stephens
Blazing a trail to the cloud by engaging with stakeholders
Computerworld - At the Idaho National Laboratory, competitive advantage means providing technology that can enhance the quality of research and garner an edge in the global energy race.
To that end, CIO Denise Stephens led the first full implementation of Google Apps for Government in the Department of Energy -- a move that profoundly changed the way researchers and partners communicate and opened the gates for cloud-based systems in the federal government. While other agencies were using different systems for different types of information, "we implemented Google Apps for Government as our sole messaging solution," Stephens says.
"She really works as an enabler," says Hortense Nelson, director of information management transformation. "She made sure that issues with the State Department, Department of Energy, indemnification -- all those types of things -- were led forward correctly and resolved." Stephens worked with other agencies and stakeholders to gain the momentum and support for the Google Apps project. "Without that, the project could not have happened," says Nelson.
The biggest challenge, Stephens says, is the cultural change required for new technology. "We've retained [the change management team] as one of the functions within our organization" as the Idaho Falls-based lab looks at more cloud solutions and their potential impact throughout the organization, she says.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts