- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Denise L. Stephens
Blazing a trail to the cloud by engaging with stakeholders
Computerworld - At the Idaho National Laboratory, competitive advantage means providing technology that can enhance the quality of research and garner an edge in the global energy race.
To that end, CIO Denise Stephens led the first full implementation of Google Apps for Government in the Department of Energy -- a move that profoundly changed the way researchers and partners communicate and opened the gates for cloud-based systems in the federal government. While other agencies were using different systems for different types of information, "we implemented Google Apps for Government as our sole messaging solution," Stephens says.
"She really works as an enabler," says Hortense Nelson, director of information management transformation. "She made sure that issues with the State Department, Department of Energy, indemnification -- all those types of things -- were led forward correctly and resolved." Stephens worked with other agencies and stakeholders to gain the momentum and support for the Google Apps project. "Without that, the project could not have happened," says Nelson.
The biggest challenge, Stephens says, is the cultural change required for new technology. "We've retained [the change management team] as one of the functions within our organization" as the Idaho Falls-based lab looks at more cloud solutions and their potential impact throughout the organization, she says.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 20 Best iPhone/iPad Games of 2013
- Google Chromebook Buyer's Guide
- 10 Signs You're Probably a Techie
- 8 Things Kindle Fire HDX Does That iPad Air Can't
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
Cloud has proven to be a sticky marketing term, even (especially?) among non-technical consumers. There is a growing consensus that “the cloud” promises a quicker and cheaper way of purchasing IT than the traditional, build-it-yourself model. This in turn has led to internal debates between application developers and infrastructure teams on the best approach for implementing “the cloud” within IT organizations. (And of course, IT architects know that when they hear management say, “We want to move to the cloud,” they will be the ones who have to figure out how to do it!)
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Bring Networks and Applications Closer--Cisco ONE
- A series of sweeping trends is placing new requirements on the tried-and-true network model--requiring network infrastructure and applications to communicate. Get the open...
- Lippis Research Reviews the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X
- In this Lippis Report Research Note, Lippis Research reviews the latest edition of the "most popular access switch on the planet" -- the...
- Design Guide--Scaling Up to a Campus-Wide LAN
- Is it time to scale your network environment to a campus wired LAN? Here's the framework you need to set up your LAN...
- Comprehensive Security: Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series
- With a rich and comprehensive set of security features, Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches can help you address networking megatrends such...
- Be Energy Efficient--The Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series
- How much energy could be saved if all 230 million Layer 2 and 3 fixed managed switch ports sold in 2012 were as... All Government IT White Papers
- Tame the data explosion with IBM Real-time Compression Learn about IBM's unique Real-time Compression technology that can enable storing up to 5x as much data in the same storage space.
- IT Transformation: Making the Move to Services IT transformation is happening in businesses of all sizes
- How SIEM Addresses the Challenges of Big Security Data This webcast will help you understand today's big data security challenges and how intelligent and scalable SIEM solutions give IT the tools and...
- BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 In Action Designed for business leaders, IT decision-makers and IT administrators, this webcast features organizations that have migrated to BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 - or...
- BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 Implementation Solutions - BlackBerry Technical Services to Make your Deployment Fast, Effective and Robust Find out how BlackBerry® implementation and migration services can help you optimize your Enterprise Mobility Management infrastructure and ease your transition to BlackBerry®...
- All Government IT Webcasts