- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Denise L. Stephens
Blazing a trail to the cloud by engaging with stakeholders
Computerworld - At the Idaho National Laboratory, competitive advantage means providing technology that can enhance the quality of research and garner an edge in the global energy race.
To that end, CIO Denise Stephens led the first full implementation of Google Apps for Government in the Department of Energy -- a move that profoundly changed the way researchers and partners communicate and opened the gates for cloud-based systems in the federal government. While other agencies were using different systems for different types of information, "we implemented Google Apps for Government as our sole messaging solution," Stephens says.
"She really works as an enabler," says Hortense Nelson, director of information management transformation. "She made sure that issues with the State Department, Department of Energy, indemnification -- all those types of things -- were led forward correctly and resolved." Stephens worked with other agencies and stakeholders to gain the momentum and support for the Google Apps project. "Without that, the project could not have happened," says Nelson.
The biggest challenge, Stephens says, is the cultural change required for new technology. "We've retained [the change management team] as one of the functions within our organization" as the Idaho Falls-based lab looks at more cloud solutions and their potential impact throughout the organization, she says.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 10 Hot Big Data Startups to Watch
- 11 Unique Uses for Google Glass, Demonstrated by Celebs
- How to Export Your Google Reader Account
- How to Better Engage Millennials (and Why They Aren't Really so Different)
- Telltale signs of ATM skimming
- 20 security and privacy apps for Androids and iPhones
- Big screen con artists: 7 great movies about social engineering
Today, many government agencies – civilian and defense – find themselves in a technology quandary: the volume of data that must be stored is growing rapidly, while shrinking budgets are limiting capital expenditures (i.e. – servers, storage devices, etc.) required to store all of this data.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Federal IT Innovation Caught in a Catch-22
- Fed resources shoring up old infrastructure, holding back new technologies.
- ESG Lab Validation of QLogic's Caching SAN Adapter
- ESG details the results of their testing of QLogic's new 10000 Series 8Gb Fibre Channel Adapter with a focus on scalable database performance...
- Deliver Customer Value with Big Data Analytics
- Big Data requires that companies adopt a different method in understanding today's consumer. Read this white paper to learn why Big Data is...
- Cloud Analytics for the Masses
- Learn the best practices in building applications that can leverage volume, variety and velocity of Big Data for organizations of any size.
- An Interactive eGuide: DDoS Attacks
- In today's world, Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks on organizations are becoming more prevalent. The number of attacks are increasingly annually with... All Government IT White Papers
- 3 Reasons Why Sepaton is the World's Fastest Backup Solution
- Leading analyst, Storage Switzerland learns how Sepaton backs up and deduplicates massive data volumes while maintaining the industry's fastest performance - all in...
- Virtustream (Vayence) video taking a 3000-Seat SAP Environment to the Cloud
- How can public cloud services help your organization reduce costs and increase security for your mission
- Williams & Fudge on Transforming IT with EMC
- Watch Williams & Fudge Data Center Director Phillip Reynolds discuss why this accounts receivable management firm turned to EMC.
- The Success Network: Driving Business Forward
- The communications and connectivity infrastructure of your organization is the focus of this KnowledgeVault Exchange, sponsored by Comcast Business.
- Advanced Voice Solutions for Your Business
- How can hosted business class voice services help mid-sized business be more agile, competitive and ready for growth? All Government IT Webcasts