Microsoft's Surface RT shipments for China tiny compared to rival tablets
Apple continues to dominate China's tablet market
IDG News Service - While first day sales for Microsoft's Surface RT tablet attracted a long line in Beijing back in October, demand for the device in China has been low, as shipments reached only 30,000 units during the fourth quarter, according to research firm IDC.
Among tablets, the Surface RT's market share amounted to only 1% in China, said IDC analyst Dickie Chang in an email. Globally, Surface RT shipments reached 900,000 units during the quarter, which IDC said illustrated muted demand for the product.
Microsoft was concerned less with boosting shipments, and instead used the device to demonstrate to PC vendors "how great" a Windows tablet could be, Chang said. In China, Microsoft decided to only sell the product through local electronics retailer Suning and its own online sales channel. Shipments to the Chinese market for other Windows tablets in the quarter reached only 11,000 units, Chang added.
During the fourth quarter in December, rival Apple launched its iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad in the country. This allowed the company to grab a 62% share of the tablet market, with 1.4 million shipments.
Apple has consistently dominated China's tablet market. But Android devices are growing in popularity, with their market share increasing to 36%, up 10 points quarter-over-quarter, Chang said.
In the quarter, Lenovo ranked second as China's largest tablet vendor, with a 14% market share, while Samsung Electronics trailed behind with 8%. Amazon.com has yet to release its Kindle products to the country, nor has Google decided to bring its Nexus 7, lessening competition in the market.
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!