Microsoft's Surface RT shipments for China tiny compared to rival tablets
Apple continues to dominate China's tablet market
IDG News Service - While first day sales for Microsoft's Surface RT tablet attracted a long line in Beijing back in October, demand for the device in China has been low, as shipments reached only 30,000 units during the fourth quarter, according to research firm IDC.
Among tablets, the Surface RT's market share amounted to only 1% in China, said IDC analyst Dickie Chang in an email. Globally, Surface RT shipments reached 900,000 units during the quarter, which IDC said illustrated muted demand for the product.
Microsoft was concerned less with boosting shipments, and instead used the device to demonstrate to PC vendors "how great" a Windows tablet could be, Chang said. In China, Microsoft decided to only sell the product through local electronics retailer Suning and its own online sales channel. Shipments to the Chinese market for other Windows tablets in the quarter reached only 11,000 units, Chang added.
During the fourth quarter in December, rival Apple launched its iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad in the country. This allowed the company to grab a 62% share of the tablet market, with 1.4 million shipments.
Apple has consistently dominated China's tablet market. But Android devices are growing in popularity, with their market share increasing to 36%, up 10 points quarter-over-quarter, Chang said.
In the quarter, Lenovo ranked second as China's largest tablet vendor, with a 14% market share, while Samsung Electronics trailed behind with 8%. Amazon.com has yet to release its Kindle products to the country, nor has Google decided to bring its Nexus 7, lessening competition in the market.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks The Rise of CyberSecurity
- 10 Things Your Next Firewall Must do Next-Generation Firewalls Defined
- Firewall Buyers Guide Operate as the core of your network security infrastructure
- Getting Started With a Zero Trust Approach to Network Security The Traditional Approach to Network Security is Failing. View Now>>
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts