Microsoft's Surface RT shipments for China tiny compared to rival tablets
Apple continues to dominate China's tablet market
IDG News Service - While first day sales for Microsoft's Surface RT tablet attracted a long line in Beijing back in October, demand for the device in China has been low, as shipments reached only 30,000 units during the fourth quarter, according to research firm IDC.
Among tablets, the Surface RT's market share amounted to only 1% in China, said IDC analyst Dickie Chang in an email. Globally, Surface RT shipments reached 900,000 units during the quarter, which IDC said illustrated muted demand for the product.
Microsoft was concerned less with boosting shipments, and instead used the device to demonstrate to PC vendors "how great" a Windows tablet could be, Chang said. In China, Microsoft decided to only sell the product through local electronics retailer Suning and its own online sales channel. Shipments to the Chinese market for other Windows tablets in the quarter reached only 11,000 units, Chang added.
During the fourth quarter in December, rival Apple launched its iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad in the country. This allowed the company to grab a 62% share of the tablet market, with 1.4 million shipments.
Apple has consistently dominated China's tablet market. But Android devices are growing in popularity, with their market share increasing to 36%, up 10 points quarter-over-quarter, Chang said.
In the quarter, Lenovo ranked second as China's largest tablet vendor, with a 14% market share, while Samsung Electronics trailed behind with 8%. Amazon.com has yet to release its Kindle products to the country, nor has Google decided to bring its Nexus 7, lessening competition in the market.
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!