- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Kathleen Scheirman
Inspiring a shared vision helps a standardization project gain support
Computerworld - Behind the scenes at Kaiser Permanente in Oakland, Calif., Kathleen Scheirman, senior vice president of corporate services business information, believes technology can provide competitive advantage by standardizing processes, keeping costs down and ultimately improving patient care.
She put that belief to the test as she helped lead the health insurer and medical care provider through a nationwide deployment of a new ERP system -- Oracle's PeopleSoft Financials and Supply Chain Management suite, which replaced a variety of accounting and supply chain management tools.
It wasn't easy changing the mindset of Kaiser's 175,000 employees or the various stakeholders in corporate and regional finance, the business units, the hospitals and the supply chain. "There was a lot of autonomy at the time," and many technologies were in use, she recalls. The biggest challenge was explaining the benefits of the new system.
"She was able to quickly foster a spirit of collaboration among her business partners and inspired a shared vision that allowed them to see the benefits of standardization that members and patients would realize," says Manish Vipani, vice president for IT shared services.
The system is now deployed across eight operating regions and serves as the single platform for all drug purchases. It processes millions of transactions each month and has significantly improved the time it takes to close financial books.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Best Practices in BYOD - Addressing BYOD Challenges in the Enterprise Take control of the iOS, Android™ and BlackBerry® devices in your organization, from one powerful, unified console.
- Built for Business: 10 Reasons BlackBerry Smartphones Are Still the Best Way to Do Business The BlackBerry® 10 mobile computing platform removes many of the barriers that slow down other devices. Here are just a few of the...
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts