- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Monique Shivanandan
Fresh ideas are cultivated at a rapid-fire innovation lab
Computerworld - Monique Shivanandan keeps Capital One on the leading edge. As senior vice president and chief technology officer, she leads the company's innovation lab, which she launched in 2010. The lab, made up of 20 developers and product managers in San Francisco and Washington, brings together all sides of the business, as well as partners in the start-up and university realms, to bring new ideas to market fast.
Shivanandan has a background in telecommunications, and that experience taught her that innovation requires partnering with people who can develop ideas quickly. "The first thing was making sure we were part of that ecosystem" through partnerships, she says. "Then we needed a place to bring capabilities and experiments together to show our business leaders the power of technology." Today, three to four lab ideas at a time simmer for 60 to 90 days and then are implemented, shelved for a later date or scrapped. There are no real failures: "Finding out that a product, service, capability or technology is not something you want to go into is brilliant," she says.
Skip Potter, vice president of technology innovation at Capital One's lab in San Francisco, says Shivanandan is "all about speed."
"She's really able to work out people's strengths very quickly -- what they're good at and their motivations," he explains. "She can go from an in-the-weeds, detail-oriented leader to an out-of-the box, think-differently leader."
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Management White Papers | Webcasts