- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Tamara Payne
Slashing software-testing time gets products out faster
Computerworld - Given FedEx's focus on speed, it should come as no surprise that the company has created a way to significantly cut software-testing time.
Thanks to the package delivery company's Decoupled Testing Tools (DTT) initiative, in some cases testing time has been reduced by 52% or more, according to Tamara Payne, senior vice president of IT at FedEx Services. The full test cycle used to take three weeks, and now that can sometimes be cut to a week. "We can deploy products to market that much sooner," she explains.
With DTT, FedEx simulated its entire lineup of customer-facing products and services to certify various releases of everything from shipments to invoice creation. Once a certain level of product has been certified, it's a relatively quick and simple matter to test a new release or component without having to go back and retest the entire thing.
Another plus is that developers can leave the quality testing to DTT and not have to get "bogged down" in that process, says Payne, 53. Further, FedEx can help large corporate clients test functionalities that are specific to their configurations.
Another of Payne's recent projects was implementing a global customer relationship management system, which involved collapsing three platforms into one. The new CRM system, which includes interfaces in several languages, was deployed in about seven weeks.
Denise Wood, chief information security officer at Memphis-based FedEx and a longtime colleague, says Payne is "the best I've ever seen" at setting goals and collaborating across time and distance. "At heart she's very much a people person," adds Wood.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Management White Papers | Webcasts