- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Tamara Payne
Slashing software-testing time gets products out faster
Computerworld - Given FedEx's focus on speed, it should come as no surprise that the company has created a way to significantly cut software-testing time.
Thanks to the package delivery company's Decoupled Testing Tools (DTT) initiative, in some cases testing time has been reduced by 52% or more, according to Tamara Payne, senior vice president of IT at FedEx Services. The full test cycle used to take three weeks, and now that can sometimes be cut to a week. "We can deploy products to market that much sooner," she explains.
With DTT, FedEx simulated its entire lineup of customer-facing products and services to certify various releases of everything from shipments to invoice creation. Once a certain level of product has been certified, it's a relatively quick and simple matter to test a new release or component without having to go back and retest the entire thing.
Another plus is that developers can leave the quality testing to DTT and not have to get "bogged down" in that process, says Payne, 53. Further, FedEx can help large corporate clients test functionalities that are specific to their configurations.
Another of Payne's recent projects was implementing a global customer relationship management system, which involved collapsing three platforms into one. The new CRM system, which includes interfaces in several languages, was deployed in about seven weeks.
Denise Wood, chief information security officer at Memphis-based FedEx and a longtime colleague, says Payne is "the best I've ever seen" at setting goals and collaborating across time and distance. "At heart she's very much a people person," adds Wood.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different.... All Management White Papers | Webcasts