- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Greg Meyers
Developing an appreciation for business and a passion for IT
Computerworld - If you're wondering what a next-generation IT leader looks like, look no further than Greg Meyers, vice president of IT at Biogen Idec, a $6 billion specialty pharmaceutical company based in Weston, Mass.
One of a new breed of IT executives, Meyers, 40, built his resume and developed his business chops outside of IT before being drawn to technology. In fact, half of Meyers' career was spent in marketing and sales before he made the leap to IT. Now, he's clearly found his niche.
"I'm passionate about technology and how it can drive the P&L," says Meyers. "I'm very fortunate to have found a career where I can do both."
And what better industry to be in if you want to press for fast technology change? In one recent project, the IT team developed state-of-the-art analytic functions that give visibility in real time on dozens of critical variables that affect the manufacturing process, such as pH and oxidation levels. "That capability has allowed us to save millions of dollars in avoiding wasted batches by intervening when needed," says Meyers.
Biogen Idec is also leveraging virtual communication channels to interact with its most important stakeholders virtually and on-demand. "Physicians have important questions affecting treatment decisions for patients that can now be answered in minutes instead of waiting days or weeks for an in-person meeting," says Meyers.
His boss, CIO Raymond Pawlicki, says Meyers' leadership style combines the best of both worlds. "Greg is business-driven, business-oriented, with great technical skills and very analytical. He's a thought leader," says Pawlicki. "That's his secret sauce: He has a foot in each camp. He's a technologist, with the other foot rooted in the business."
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Meeting Changing Information Management Needs with Next-Generation Email Archiving Learn more about the ever-changing landscape of next-generation email archiving and gain insight about information management needs in this Info-Tech whitepaper.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts