- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Malcolm Jackson
A little salesmanship helps win over business partners and boost IT projects
Computerworld - Malcolm Jackson, CIO of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, is a drilling engineer by training, and he's tech-savvy -- he worked as a mainframe programmer when he started his career in the 1980s. But he also has a background in marketing, which is especially helpful at the EPA.
Jackson is moving the agency in several new directions, including shared services. "We have an opportunity here to build once and share it many times," he says. The initiative includes a recent effort to establish an enterprisewide geospatial platform and a common repository for data, maps and services. A similar effort is under way for e-discovery. Also on the list of IT projects are a move to cloud platforms and an effort to enable mobility.
In particular, selling shared services can be difficult, but Jackson says his team is working to determine how much customization is possible for each program. "You can build a great solution, but if you don't know how to sell it or market it, it will die on the drawing board," he says. "I'm all about selling and marketing, and I tell my team this."
Barbara Bennett, the EPA's chief financial officer, says she enjoys working with Jackson because of his "very pragmatic approach [of] aligning IT with business priorities, agency priorities."
"I think it's so important for CFOs and CIOs to work together because they both bring perspectives that are trying to move the business forward," says Bennett. "We have that strong partnership."
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Meeting Changing Information Management Needs with Next-Generation Email Archiving Learn more about the ever-changing landscape of next-generation email archiving and gain insight about information management needs in this Info-Tech whitepaper.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts