- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Malcolm Jackson
A little salesmanship helps win over business partners and boost IT projects
Computerworld - Malcolm Jackson, CIO of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, is a drilling engineer by training, and he's tech-savvy -- he worked as a mainframe programmer when he started his career in the 1980s. But he also has a background in marketing, which is especially helpful at the EPA.
Jackson is moving the agency in several new directions, including shared services. "We have an opportunity here to build once and share it many times," he says. The initiative includes a recent effort to establish an enterprisewide geospatial platform and a common repository for data, maps and services. A similar effort is under way for e-discovery. Also on the list of IT projects are a move to cloud platforms and an effort to enable mobility.
In particular, selling shared services can be difficult, but Jackson says his team is working to determine how much customization is possible for each program. "You can build a great solution, but if you don't know how to sell it or market it, it will die on the drawing board," he says. "I'm all about selling and marketing, and I tell my team this."
Barbara Bennett, the EPA's chief financial officer, says she enjoys working with Jackson because of his "very pragmatic approach [of] aligning IT with business priorities, agency priorities."
"I think it's so important for CFOs and CIOs to work together because they both bring perspectives that are trying to move the business forward," says Bennett. "We have that strong partnership."
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts