- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Kris Herrin
In rolling out large IT projects, communication is key
Computerworld - Since its founding in 1997, Heartland Payment Systems has grown to become the sixth-largest payments processor in the U.S.
As a result of its rapid growth and several acquisitions, the Princeton, N.J-based company found itself with a conglomeration of disparate technologies and platforms across nine data centers. Heartland's CTO, Kris Herrin, set his team to the task of consolidating the data centers and modernizing legacy platforms to reduce costs.
After a two-year, multimillion-dollar project, Heartland now runs just three data centers, and it has switched mainframe applications to open systems, brought outsourced functions in-house and partnered with a third-party provider to create a hybrid cloud-based data center that uses a combination of private and public resources.
By eliminating redundant and inefficient processes, the project lowered net operating expenses for one line of business by 48% and for IT overall by 18%. In addition to the hybrid data center, Heartland now has one traditional data center and one colocation facility. Heartland partnered with Fujitsu to create the hybrid facility, using that company's hardware, cloud offerings and newly renovated data center.
While Herrin acknowledges that moving to the cloud "is always a tough conversation," one of this colleagues says his ability to communicate with both the IT and business sides of the house was critical to the success of the project. "He's very good at engaging with the business and helping them see the big picture," says Bryan Thompson, Heartland's chief enterprise architect. "He's good in front of an audience. He's also got a customer service focus."
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts