- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile: Joseph Eckroth
Focusing on both big ideas and small accomplishments
Computerworld - For Joseph Eckroth, success comes from thinking big while paying close attention to the little things.
As CIO at Hertz, Eckroth has successfully championed Express Rent, an innovative idea for self-service kiosks that had previously languished, says CTO Rob Moore. The technology combines self-service screens with a video link to a live call center representative who can walk customers through a 12-screen rental process. The kiosks became a big hit, enabling the company to provide extra virtual staff during busy times at airports and at other locations.
"Part of Joe's strength is the ability to communicate and persuade at all levels of the business. He gave us the critical mass to move forward," Moore says.
But Eckroth tries to remember that there's more to running a successful business than taking on big projects. He writes personal notes to staffers for even small accomplishments while making sure that individual users' concerns about PCs and applications don't get lost in the shuffle. "Don't minimize the small things, and never underestimate that personal frustration," he says.
Moore describes Eckroth as a "promoter of talent" who gives his staff visibility with the executives back at the company's Park Ridge, N.J., headquarters. "I'd been doing good work, but no one ever saw that until Joe came in and promoted it," he says. Eckroth also founded an innovation council to showcase IT team ideas, and later expanded it to include executives from other parts of the organization. "We've created a culture where IT is part of the mainstream," setting Hertz on course for a technology-centric future, Eckroth says.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- The Next Generation Employee Experience This white paper from IBM, showcases five organizations that are strategically integrating emerging social software and tools with their existing investments and seeing...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Management White Papers | Webcasts