- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile: Joseph Eckroth
Focusing on both big ideas and small accomplishments
Computerworld - For Joseph Eckroth, success comes from thinking big while paying close attention to the little things.
As CIO at Hertz, Eckroth has successfully championed Express Rent, an innovative idea for self-service kiosks that had previously languished, says CTO Rob Moore. The technology combines self-service screens with a video link to a live call center representative who can walk customers through a 12-screen rental process. The kiosks became a big hit, enabling the company to provide extra virtual staff during busy times at airports and at other locations.
"Part of Joe's strength is the ability to communicate and persuade at all levels of the business. He gave us the critical mass to move forward," Moore says.
But Eckroth tries to remember that there's more to running a successful business than taking on big projects. He writes personal notes to staffers for even small accomplishments while making sure that individual users' concerns about PCs and applications don't get lost in the shuffle. "Don't minimize the small things, and never underestimate that personal frustration," he says.
Moore describes Eckroth as a "promoter of talent" who gives his staff visibility with the executives back at the company's Park Ridge, N.J., headquarters. "I'd been doing good work, but no one ever saw that until Joe came in and promoted it," he says. Eckroth also founded an innovation council to showcase IT team ideas, and later expanded it to include executives from other parts of the organization. "We've created a culture where IT is part of the mainstream," setting Hertz on course for a technology-centric future, Eckroth says.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Meet Business Demands and Drive IT Innovation Your IT organization plays a strategic role in business operations. What new solutions and offerings could you create if you had an agile,...
- British Airways Case Study British Airways increases scalability, reliability, flexibility and performance while building on its IT infrastructure using Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization.
- 3 Keys to Secure BYOD Deployment The new Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) environment presents challenges for IT managers and business leaders. This paper discusses how IT managers can address those challenges,...
- Creating a Video Collaboration Strategy: Four Mistakes Mid-Market Companies Make and How to Avoid Them This Cisco-sponsored whitepaper from AVI-SPL shares key insights from Cisco's and AVI-SPL's teams of video collaboration integration experts gained through hundreds of deployments...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Symantec NetBackup Appliances: Key Factors in Modernizing Backup and Recovery This white paper outlines a structured approach to assessing the advantages and requirements of the PBBA model, and in particular the unique capabilities... All Management White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.