- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile: Joseph Eckroth
Focusing on both big ideas and small accomplishments
Computerworld - For Joseph Eckroth, success comes from thinking big while paying close attention to the little things.
As CIO at Hertz, Eckroth has successfully championed Express Rent, an innovative idea for self-service kiosks that had previously languished, says CTO Rob Moore. The technology combines self-service screens with a video link to a live call center representative who can walk customers through a 12-screen rental process. The kiosks became a big hit, enabling the company to provide extra virtual staff during busy times at airports and at other locations.
"Part of Joe's strength is the ability to communicate and persuade at all levels of the business. He gave us the critical mass to move forward," Moore says.
But Eckroth tries to remember that there's more to running a successful business than taking on big projects. He writes personal notes to staffers for even small accomplishments while making sure that individual users' concerns about PCs and applications don't get lost in the shuffle. "Don't minimize the small things, and never underestimate that personal frustration," he says.
Moore describes Eckroth as a "promoter of talent" who gives his staff visibility with the executives back at the company's Park Ridge, N.J., headquarters. "I'd been doing good work, but no one ever saw that until Joe came in and promoted it," he says. Eckroth also founded an innovation council to showcase IT team ideas, and later expanded it to include executives from other parts of the organization. "We've created a culture where IT is part of the mainstream," setting Hertz on course for a technology-centric future, Eckroth says.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts