- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile: JR Gamez
Using technology to create more human connections
Computerworld - Inspiration struck JR Gamez at a city council meeting. As the Redwood City, Calif., police chief listened to a developer tell the councilors that he could get more done if he didn't have to come into City Hall for everything, he wondered whether his officers could be more efficient if they had more flexibility with when and where they meet citizens.
So Gamez asked his department's social media team to figure out how to use online videoconferencing to make the police force more efficient and responsive. By June 2012, less than six months after that city council exchange, the team implemented Netop's Live Guide video and text chat technology. It cost the city less than $1,000 to implement and run annually.
Gamez says the technology is transforming his department. A resident who needs to talk with an officer regarding a non-emergency situation can now use video chat. So instead of sending a patrol officer to the neighborhood, officers who are on desk duty handle such calls.
"We found that it was freeing up our units. We have officers doing more priority work, allowing response time to be quicker to higher-priority calls," he explains.
City Manager Bob Bell says Gamez's improvements "have streamlined service delivery and added a human connection."
Video chat is just one of the IT-driven initiatives championed by Gamez, 50, who developed his technical aptitude working on tech-related police projects while he was an officer. The department also uses Twitter, Facebook, a Google blog, a YouTube channel, a Flickr page and a Vimeo video channel.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- The Next Generation Employee Experience This white paper from IBM, showcases five organizations that are strategically integrating emerging social software and tools with their existing investments and seeing...
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Management White Papers | Webcasts