Google+ suffers outage Friday morning
Google reports the problem has been cleared up, but no details on how many affected
Computerworld - Google+ suffered a site outage Friday morning, prompting users of the social network to complain on both Google+ and Twitter that the site was down or slow to load.
According to Google, the outage was over by late morning, East Coast time.
"The issue should be resolved," wrote a Google spokeswoman in an email to Computerworld. "We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and continued support. Please rest assured that system reliability is a top priority at Google, and we are making continuous improvements to make our systems better."
Google did not say how widespread the outage was or what caused the problem.
Users reported receiving a 503 internal server error or had to deal with slow uploads. They also reported that the trouble lasted for varying amounts of time -- anywhere from five to 20 minutes.
This past December, Vic Gundotra, a senior vice president for Google+, said in a blog post that Google+ was the "fastest growing network thingy ever," adding that the number of Google+ active users increased 35% in three months.
The social network, which is about a year and a half old, had 135 million active users that month.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!