Facebook lets users promote friends' posts
The move expands upon the personal promoted posts feature launched last October
IDG News Service - Facebook has expanded its promoted posts program, allowing users to pay to highlight posts made by friends. The move, if successful, could help boost fees Facebook collects from the recently introduced service.
The new feature lets users pay to push posts made by friends to the top of the news feed of people with whom the post was originally shared. Previously, users could only promote their own posts, typically for $7 a pop in the U.S.
Under the changes, people can now promote any friend's post, such as status updates, photos or videos. Facebook says the new function respects privacy because the post is only promoted to the same users that would have originally been able to see it.
"It simply helps to ensure that important posts are noticed by more people," said Gwendolyn Belomy, a spokeswoman for Facebook. It began gradually rolling out globally starting Thursday to people with fewer than 5,000 friends or subscribers.
The social network launched the promoted posts program in October 2012. Fees the social network has collected from the tool thus far "have not been material," Facebook said in its annual report filed Feb. 1 with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Charity donations, fundraising and publicizing events are just some uses of the new functionality that Facebook is highlighting.
"If your friend is running a marathon for charity and has posted that information publicly, you can help that friend by promoting their post to all of your friends," the company said.
The tool can also make the apartment hunting process easier, the social network said. If a friend is renting out her apartment, for instance, and tells her friends on Facebook, someone else can share that post with both users' mutual friends so that it shows up higher in the news feed.
Other uses may include promoting a friend's announcement about a move or a new job, the company said.
The service will cost the same as promoting your own posts, which will vary depending on the user's geographic location and the size of the person's network.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!