Reddit to accept bitcoin for premium service
The site follows WordPress in accepting the virtual currency for payments
IDG News Service - The popular social-news site Reddit said it will now accept bitcoins, following blogging platform WordPress in embracing the four-year-old virtual currency.
Reddit, which lets users submit and vote on popular Web content, already uses PayPal and Google Wallet for its "Gold" service, which gives users a range of editing tools and an option to turn off advertisements. The Gold service costs $3.99 a month or $29.99 a year.
Accepting bitcoin will allow the site to take payments from anywhere in the world, according to Reddit's blog.
Bitcoin is a virtual currency that can be purchased through exchanges for government-issued currency. Transactions are verified by a peer-to-peer system, and payments can be sent anywhere in the world for a low fee or in some cases no fee within about an hour. On Friday, one bitcoin cost about $27, according to Mt.Gox, a Japan-based exchange.
The virtual currency is looking increasingly attractive to online merchants, who run the risk of incurring a "chargeback" by banks if someone fraudulently makes a purchase with someone else's credit card details. Due to its cryptographic verification system, bitcoins cannot be fraudulently spent, which relieves merchants of chargeback worries.
Reddit also accepts credit card payments, but only from the U.S. and Canada, although the site said it hopes to accept credit card payments from more countries within a week.
It said it will use Coinbase as its payment processor. Coinbase, based in Beaverton, Oregon, is one of many businesses specializing in services for merchants who want to use bitcoin.
WordPress announced in November that it would accept bitcoins, opening up some of the blogging platform's paid-for features to people in countries not supported by credit card companies and PayPal.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts