Alcatel-Lucent hopes to make data plans more flexible
Via an app on their smartphone, users will be able to share and top up data plans
IDG News Service - Through its new Smart Plan platform, Alcatel-Lucent wants to make mobile subscription plans more flexible and allow data packages to be shared among users and handed out by companies to their customers using an application on smartphones and tablets.
As income from traditional voice and messaging services comes under increasing pressure from services such as Skype, WhatsApp and Facebook, operators will become increasingly reliant on increasing their data revenue. With Smart Plan, Alcatel-Lucent wants to make it easier for operators to offer new ways to sell data allowances, according to Cassidy Shield, vice president of marketing for Alcatel-Lucent's Platforms division.
"Probably the biggest long-term opportunity [for operators] is if you start offering mobile data as a currency. Then you can get advertisers, brands and merchants to pay for part of the data plan," Shield said.
There are already some examples of this. In Brazil, Coca-Cola offers dispensers that allows users to fill up on mobile data using a branded app. Another version of that would be retailers that offered their customers mobile data as a reward.
Via an application, users will also be able to share data with family members and friends, buy more data from their operator and track usage, according to Shield. The company foresees marketplaces where users can see what offers they can take advantage of, as well as location and time-based packages, he said.
At first, Alcatel-Lucent will support Android and iOS using native applications. There also are APIs that allow operators to build their own applications or integrate with existing ones.
Smart Plan and the application will be demonstrated at Mobile World Congress.
The underlying platform is powered by the new Smart Plan Builder, which is a server-side rules and orchestration engine on which mobile operators can build applications. It will become generally available in March. So far, the company has pitched the product to five operators, but will now expand to a wider group.
Rolling out something like this won't happen overnight.
"It is a big change for operators," Shield.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!