- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile: Kevin Chase
A drive for continuous improvement pays off in business success
Computerworld - Kevin Chase has three objectives as CIO and senior vice president at Dallas-based Energy Future Holdings. He wants IT to do the following: understand the business units' top priorities and deliver systems that allow them to achieve those goals, continue its drive for operational excellence and system reliability, and consistently and constantly evaluate and minimize risk.
Chase, 44, who oversees IT for corporate operations as well as two of the company's three business divisions, Luminant and TXU Energy, says those objectives guide the IT projects. And his list of recent projects is extensive. It includes replacing systems supporting supply chain management, asset management, work management and financial planning at Luminant as well as those supporting revenue management, customer care, marketing and sales at TXU.
Those projects increased reliability, improved controls and lowered costs, he says.
And those improvements have driven corporate success, says Energy Future Holdings CEO John Young. "[Last year] was a record year across many parts of EFH, Luminant and TXU," he says. "The IT organization, under Kevin's leadership, played a critical role in that success, especially in the areas of operational excellence and delivery of new strategic projects."
Even though he has already accomplished quite a bit, Chase isn't resting. "The most important projects we want to work on are the ones most critical to the business," he says.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Infographic: What's Stealing Business Performance? Riverbed spoke with IT management and other technology professionals at the Microsoft SharePoint Conference to develop this infographic on the causes of loss...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Management White Papers | Webcasts