- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile: Marlo Donate
Driving innovation with agility and speed
Computerworld - Three years ago, Marlo Donate lit a fire under Toyota Financial Services, a traditionally conservative, risk-averse company that often took two years to bring a new idea to market. She challenged the group to get up to speed with its competitors.
Today she leads the enterprise applications group and the newly created digital services group, a six-member, in-house development team focused on mobile and Web operations.
The Torrance, Calif.-based company doesn't hire new people or create new business units very often, Donate says, so "[convincing] our management committee that we need to be agile and flexible with changes in the mobile and Web space was pretty significant."
First, the team had to prove itself with delivery of its mobile Click to Pay app for iPhones, Android and the Web -- a tall order considering that the team's marketing partners had a bad track record with IT. But Donate worked closely with that team to develop some proofs of concept to ensure they were delivering, even exceeding, what had been promised.
As part of digital services, Donate also launched an innovation lab that works with the development team. "It really was a game-changer on how to have a conversation with the business," she says. "We also introduced a prototyping tool, so it's easier [for business units] to see what they're going to get, instead of 30 pages" of text.
Donate's leadership style is one of collaboration and execution, says Ron Guerrier, vice president and CIO at TFS, who was responsible for hiring her. "She has inserted in the IT delivery team the tenacity to not only plan [a new project], but execute upon it," he says.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Meeting Changing Information Management Needs with Next-Generation Email Archiving Learn more about the ever-changing landscape of next-generation email archiving and gain insight about information management needs in this Info-Tech whitepaper.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts