- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile: Marlo Donate
Driving innovation with agility and speed
Computerworld - Three years ago, Marlo Donate lit a fire under Toyota Financial Services, a traditionally conservative, risk-averse company that often took two years to bring a new idea to market. She challenged the group to get up to speed with its competitors.
Today she leads the enterprise applications group and the newly created digital services group, a six-member, in-house development team focused on mobile and Web operations.
The Torrance, Calif.-based company doesn't hire new people or create new business units very often, Donate says, so "[convincing] our management committee that we need to be agile and flexible with changes in the mobile and Web space was pretty significant."
First, the team had to prove itself with delivery of its mobile Click to Pay app for iPhones, Android and the Web -- a tall order considering that the team's marketing partners had a bad track record with IT. But Donate worked closely with that team to develop some proofs of concept to ensure they were delivering, even exceeding, what had been promised.
As part of digital services, Donate also launched an innovation lab that works with the development team. "It really was a game-changer on how to have a conversation with the business," she says. "We also introduced a prototyping tool, so it's easier [for business units] to see what they're going to get, instead of 30 pages" of text.
Donate's leadership style is one of collaboration and execution, says Ron Guerrier, vice president and CIO at TFS, who was responsible for hiring her. "She has inserted in the IT delivery team the tenacity to not only plan [a new project], but execute upon it," he says.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Management White Papers | Webcasts