- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile: Marlo Donate
Driving innovation with agility and speed
Computerworld - Three years ago, Marlo Donate lit a fire under Toyota Financial Services, a traditionally conservative, risk-averse company that often took two years to bring a new idea to market. She challenged the group to get up to speed with its competitors.
Today she leads the enterprise applications group and the newly created digital services group, a six-member, in-house development team focused on mobile and Web operations.
The Torrance, Calif.-based company doesn't hire new people or create new business units very often, Donate says, so "[convincing] our management committee that we need to be agile and flexible with changes in the mobile and Web space was pretty significant."
First, the team had to prove itself with delivery of its mobile Click to Pay app for iPhones, Android and the Web -- a tall order considering that the team's marketing partners had a bad track record with IT. But Donate worked closely with that team to develop some proofs of concept to ensure they were delivering, even exceeding, what had been promised.
As part of digital services, Donate also launched an innovation lab that works with the development team. "It really was a game-changer on how to have a conversation with the business," she says. "We also introduced a prototyping tool, so it's easier [for business units] to see what they're going to get, instead of 30 pages" of text.
Donate's leadership style is one of collaboration and execution, says Ron Guerrier, vice president and CIO at TFS, who was responsible for hiring her. "She has inserted in the IT delivery team the tenacity to not only plan [a new project], but execute upon it," he says.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Best Practices in BYOD - Addressing BYOD Challenges in the Enterprise Take control of the iOS, Android™ and BlackBerry® devices in your organization, from one powerful, unified console.
- Built for Business: 10 Reasons BlackBerry Smartphones Are Still the Best Way to Do Business The BlackBerry® 10 mobile computing platform removes many of the barriers that slow down other devices. Here are just a few of the...
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts