- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Judith L. Batenburg
Reorganized IT to embed techies directly with the business
Computerworld - When Judith Batenburg started her job at Starz Entertainment six years ago, IT was isolated. Starz's business is broadcasting -- the company provides premium movies and original programming -- not technology, and IT seemed happy to keep its head down and do its own thing. "I thought that was odd," says Batenburg, vice president of IT infrastructure and operations. Over the course of the next few years, Batenburg and her team were able to evolve IT into an organization that was there to serve a business need, not just provide email to people.
She got a chance to make her point in a big way when Starz undertook a multimillion-dollar technology and business process transformation, moving from a traditional broadcast delivery, or "playout," environment that ran on expensive, proprietary and aging tape equipment to an entirely IT-centric digital model.
During that project, one IT engineer in particular evolved as a liaison between the broadcast and tech teams at the Englewood, Colo.-based company, primarily because he had a personal interest in the new technology. The ad hoc arrangement worked so well that Batenburg decided to create an official liaison position, with the title of IT solutions engineer.
"We've made a great opportunity," she says. "Now we want to capitalize and institutionalize it."
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts