- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile: George M. Brenckle
Bringing an IT infrastructure back up to speed after years of underfunding
Computerworld - CIO George M. Brenckle has to balance access to information with ensuring security, but he acknowledges that information can't always be locked down, particularly in a healthcare organization like his. Doctors need access to data wherever they are to deliver the best care in the most efficient and effective way possible. So Brenckle and his team at UMass Memorial Health Care in Worcester, Mass., spent the past year developing a virtual desktop architecture to do just that.
The FollowMeDesktop initiative delivered on its goals, lowering IT support costs while allowing clinicians to access information from any location on virtually any platform, including tablets.
Such initiatives are a long way from where UMMHC was when Brenckle, 58, who holds a Ph.D. in biochemistry, started there five years ago. He says the institution had underinvested in IT for years, leaving it without key IT-enabled healthcare applications.
But Brenckle moved UMMHC forward. He overhauled the information infrastructure, adding electronic health record technology, replacing a core billing system, developing a new data center, expanding the capacity and reach of its network, and introducing electronic documentation for physicians.
UMMHC President John G. O'Brien praised Brenckle's ability to bring together stakeholders "to develop a shared vision for IT."
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts