- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile: George M. Brenckle
Bringing an IT infrastructure back up to speed after years of underfunding
Computerworld - CIO George M. Brenckle has to balance access to information with ensuring security, but he acknowledges that information can't always be locked down, particularly in a healthcare organization like his. Doctors need access to data wherever they are to deliver the best care in the most efficient and effective way possible. So Brenckle and his team at UMass Memorial Health Care in Worcester, Mass., spent the past year developing a virtual desktop architecture to do just that.
The FollowMeDesktop initiative delivered on its goals, lowering IT support costs while allowing clinicians to access information from any location on virtually any platform, including tablets.
Such initiatives are a long way from where UMMHC was when Brenckle, 58, who holds a Ph.D. in biochemistry, started there five years ago. He says the institution had underinvested in IT for years, leaving it without key IT-enabled healthcare applications.
But Brenckle moved UMMHC forward. He overhauled the information infrastructure, adding electronic health record technology, replacing a core billing system, developing a new data center, expanding the capacity and reach of its network, and introducing electronic documentation for physicians.
UMMHC President John G. O'Brien praised Brenckle's ability to bring together stakeholders "to develop a shared vision for IT."
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- VDI and Beyond: Addressing Top IT Challenges to Drive Agility and Growth This paper explores a collection of compelling FlexCast services to highlight how XenDesktop can drive a modern, mobile workforce toward greater agility and...
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices...
- Maintain Less. Create More. Spend less on maintenance and spend more time creating with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Read on to learn how Red Hat can help...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different.... All Management White Papers | Webcasts