- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile: Vince Campisi
Learning to conquer the industrial Internet with remote sensors
Computerworld - Internet technology already allows consumers to remotely monitor their homes and start their cars using smartphones. At General Electric, Vince Campisi has been instrumental in taking remote sensoring and monitoring technology to the even bigger, untapped market of heavy industry.
Before his appointment as CIO of GE Intelligent Platforms in Charlottesville, Va., last October, Campisi worked at GE Power & Water, where he helped to transform the oil, water and gas production process from a reactive, break/fix mode to a proactive alert-and-optimize mode. His group created a cloud-based software platform that leverages GE Intelligent Platform technology for collecting data from a water-cooling tower or oil refinery heat exchanger, for instance, and then alerting customers when those machines aren't working optimally.
"We're applying sensor technology to collect data, using big data techniques for extrapolating information and connecting the dots to find something that's warning you about an issue," Campisi says.
Today, 800 GE customers have subscribed to the cloud-based service. "It's something that's resonated with customers. It's really changing how we provide our services and how customers get better transparency to the value we can offer," he says.
GE Power & Water CIO Joanne Kugler calls Campisi a true business leader who thinks big. "When you combine his strong business process knowledge with his technical skills, he just gets it," she says.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- VDI and Beyond: Addressing Top IT Challenges to Drive Agility and Growth This paper explores a collection of compelling FlexCast services to highlight how XenDesktop can drive a modern, mobile workforce toward greater agility and...
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices...
- Maintain Less. Create More. Spend less on maintenance and spend more time creating with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Read on to learn how Red Hat can help...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different.... All Management White Papers | Webcasts