- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile: Vince Campisi
Learning to conquer the industrial Internet with remote sensors
Computerworld - Internet technology already allows consumers to remotely monitor their homes and start their cars using smartphones. At General Electric, Vince Campisi has been instrumental in taking remote sensoring and monitoring technology to the even bigger, untapped market of heavy industry.
Before his appointment as CIO of GE Intelligent Platforms in Charlottesville, Va., last October, Campisi worked at GE Power & Water, where he helped to transform the oil, water and gas production process from a reactive, break/fix mode to a proactive alert-and-optimize mode. His group created a cloud-based software platform that leverages GE Intelligent Platform technology for collecting data from a water-cooling tower or oil refinery heat exchanger, for instance, and then alerting customers when those machines aren't working optimally.
"We're applying sensor technology to collect data, using big data techniques for extrapolating information and connecting the dots to find something that's warning you about an issue," Campisi says.
Today, 800 GE customers have subscribed to the cloud-based service. "It's something that's resonated with customers. It's really changing how we provide our services and how customers get better transparency to the value we can offer," he says.
GE Power & Water CIO Joanne Kugler calls Campisi a true business leader who thinks big. "When you combine his strong business process knowledge with his technical skills, he just gets it," she says.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts