- 2013 Premier 100 IT Leaders: On the fast track
- Class of 2013 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: The Premier 100 as entrepreneurial leaders
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2013
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 3-5, 2013
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile: Vince Campisi
Learning to conquer the industrial Internet with remote sensors
Computerworld - Internet technology already allows consumers to remotely monitor their homes and start their cars using smartphones. At General Electric, Vince Campisi has been instrumental in taking remote sensoring and monitoring technology to the even bigger, untapped market of heavy industry.
Before his appointment as CIO of GE Intelligent Platforms in Charlottesville, Va., last October, Campisi worked at GE Power & Water, where he helped to transform the oil, water and gas production process from a reactive, break/fix mode to a proactive alert-and-optimize mode. His group created a cloud-based software platform that leverages GE Intelligent Platform technology for collecting data from a water-cooling tower or oil refinery heat exchanger, for instance, and then alerting customers when those machines aren't working optimally.
"We're applying sensor technology to collect data, using big data techniques for extrapolating information and connecting the dots to find something that's warning you about an issue," Campisi says.
Today, 800 GE customers have subscribed to the cloud-based service. "It's something that's resonated with customers. It's really changing how we provide our services and how customers get better transparency to the value we can offer," he says.
GE Power & Water CIO Joanne Kugler calls Campisi a true business leader who thinks big. "When you combine his strong business process knowledge with his technical skills, he just gets it," she says.
More on the 2013 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Defense throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle with Alert Logic Threat and Log Manager New security threats are emerging all the time, from new forms of malware and web application exploits that target code vulnerabilities to attacks...
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Protect your brand with Alert Logic PCI DSS compliance solutions Alert logic's cloud-powered solutions help organizations that process, store or transmit credit card data eliminate the burden of PCI compliance. This product brief...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the...
- Princess Cruises collaborates across the globe in the IBM cloud Norm Ayers, Director of Emergency Response and Social Projects at Princess Cruises explains how IBM and Cloud helped the company rapidly scale its... All Management White Papers | Webcasts