Samsung takes aim at emerging markets with REX phones
The company has lauched four new dual-SIM phones with touchscreens
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics has launched REX, a new series of "smart feature phones" that it will sell in emerging markets.
Countries such as Brazil, Russia, India, Indonesia and China will drive much of the volume growth in the global phone market in 2013 and beyond, according to market research company Canalys. In total, developing markets will contribute 70% to 80% of the growth this year, it recently said.
The REX family consists of four devices: REX 90, REX 80, REX 70, and REX 60, which all combine EDGE with Wi-Fi, including 802.11n, for network access.
The phones are based on Samsung's Handheld Platform and use versions of its TouchWiz interface. They come with Opera's Mini browser and a number of services for chat and social networking, including Yahoo Messenger, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Samsung's ChatOn.
Like many phones developed for countries such as India, the REX phones can use two SIM cards. Users can switch between a maximum of five SIM cards without first turning off their phone, according to Samsung. The use of dual-SIM phones are ideal for business trips to different coverage areas or as a way to get better tariffs, it said.
Earlier this week, Nokia and LG Electronics also announced new dual-SIM phones, which Samsung will compete with.
The REX 90 is the biggest of the four with a 3.5-inch screen and a 3.2-megapixel camera. The REX 80 and 70 both have 3-inch screens, but the latter model has a 2-megapixel camera instead of one with 3.2 megapixels. The REX 60 is the smallest of the newcomers with its 2.8-inch screen and a 1.3-megapixel camera.
Pricing and availability wasn't announced.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!