Samsung takes aim at emerging markets with REX phones
The company has lauched four new dual-SIM phones with touchscreens
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics has launched REX, a new series of "smart feature phones" that it will sell in emerging markets.
Countries such as Brazil, Russia, India, Indonesia and China will drive much of the volume growth in the global phone market in 2013 and beyond, according to market research company Canalys. In total, developing markets will contribute 70% to 80% of the growth this year, it recently said.
The REX family consists of four devices: REX 90, REX 80, REX 70, and REX 60, which all combine EDGE with Wi-Fi, including 802.11n, for network access.
The phones are based on Samsung's Handheld Platform and use versions of its TouchWiz interface. They come with Opera's Mini browser and a number of services for chat and social networking, including Yahoo Messenger, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Samsung's ChatOn.
Like many phones developed for countries such as India, the REX phones can use two SIM cards. Users can switch between a maximum of five SIM cards without first turning off their phone, according to Samsung. The use of dual-SIM phones are ideal for business trips to different coverage areas or as a way to get better tariffs, it said.
Earlier this week, Nokia and LG Electronics also announced new dual-SIM phones, which Samsung will compete with.
The REX 90 is the biggest of the four with a 3.5-inch screen and a 3.2-megapixel camera. The REX 80 and 70 both have 3-inch screens, but the latter model has a 2-megapixel camera instead of one with 3.2 megapixels. The REX 60 is the smallest of the newcomers with its 2.8-inch screen and a 1.3-megapixel camera.
Pricing and availability wasn't announced.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts