Adobe confirms zero-day exploit bypasses Adobe Reader sandbox
This type of protection is very rarely seen in malware, Raiu said. "Something similar was used in the Flame cyberespionage malware, but on the server side."
This is either a cyberespionage tool created by a nation state or one of the so-called lawful interception tools sold by private contractors to law enforcement and intelligence agencies for large sums of money, he said.
Kaspersky Lab doesn't yet have information about this attack's targets or their distribution around the world, Raiu said.
Reached via email on Wednesday, FireEye's senior director of security research, Zheng Bu, declined to comment on the attack's targets. FireEye published a blog post with technical information about the malware on Wednesday, but didn't reveal any information about victims.
Bu said that the malware uses certain techniques to detect if it's being executed in a virtual machine so it can evade detection by automated malware analysis systems.
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts