Google strikes back at BT with patent lawsuit
Google accuses BT of making meritless patent claims and arming patent trolls
IDG News Service - Google filed a patent infringement lawsuit against BT Group companies in a court in the U.S. stating it was defending itself against the British communications services company's own "meritless patent claims" and its arming of patent trolls.
The company is understood to have filed a complaint against BT in the U.K. as well.
The move by Google comes about a year after BT sued the Internet company for alleged infringement of six of its patents in a court in Delaware.
In a complaint filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, Google has sought remedies from four BT Group companies for the alleged infringement of four of its patents, relating to quality of service technologies and Internet telephony gateways.
Besides a judgment in its favor, Google is also asking for damages, attorney's fees, and an order enjoining the companies from further infringement of its patents.
The patents in the suit are U.S. patents numbers 5,581,703 and 5,701,465 relating to "method and apparatus for reserving system resources to assure quality of service," 6,807,166 relating to a gateway for Internet telephony, and 7,460,558 that deals with a system and method for connection capacity reassignment in a multi-tier data processing network. Three of the patents were initially assigned to IBM, while a fourth was assigned to Fujitsu, and appear to have been purchased later.
"We have always seen litigation as a last resort, and we work hard to avoid lawsuits," Google said in an emailed statement. "But BT has brought several meritless patent claims against Google and our customers--and they've also been arming patent trolls. When faced with these kind of actions, we will defend ourselves." BT could not be immediately reached for comment.
BT's suit in December, 2011 in U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware alleged that some Google products and services including Android, and its search, music, map, and location-based advertising infringe on one or more of six of its patents.
- Top 12 Laptop Bags for Mobile Pros
- Think Deleted Text Messages Are Gone Forever? Think Again
- 7 New Faces of the C-suite
- 5 Ways CIOs Can Rationalize Application Portfolios
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Harmonize Your Communications Experience: Are you leading a double life? Bring your own device. Embrace flexible work lifestyles. Be mobile. Welcome to the era of the anywhere worker.
- Infographic: Team Effectiveness Work is changing. We're global, mobile and distributed - we're virtual teams. This infographic illustrates our 2013 survey of over 1700 people around...
- Unify top five predictions in enterprise communications for 2014 Around the globe, a new way to work is taking hold - and 2014 will be a turning point.
- Three Best Practices to Help Government Agencies Overcome BYOD Challenges This paper highlightschallenges facing government IT in a BYOD environment and discusses strategies for network preparation, ongoing support, and securing information to enable...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more