Twitter apps gain access to 'Top Tweets' with new API metadata
Social network will soon let developers create tools to filter messages
IDG News Service - Twitter will soon give developers the ability to filter messages by popularity and language.
The company said in a blog posting Wednesday that it will add two new fields to the public metadata it associates with messages on its service, which are popularly known as Tweets. The first is a "filter_level" that allows developers to screen out only popular items, roughly equivalent to the way users of Twitter's home page can choose to view only "Top Tweets" in search results.
In its public FAQ, Twitter defines "Top Tweets" as those that "many other Twitter users have engaged with and thought were useful." It says they are filtered out by an algorithm that looks for items that many people are interacting with and sharing.
Twitter will also add the ability to filter by language, the same feature that is available to those using its advanced search page. The new functionality will give developers the obvious ability to provide more relevant results to users, but it will also provide a new way to analyze global reactions to events on Twitter.
The new fields will give developers a better way to sort through the mass of Twitter messages returned for popular searches and subjects. Twitter is working to fine tune users' ability to sort through its data, also adding features such as verification of people using Twitter, such as public figures and journalists.
The two new fields will be added to Twitter's streaming APIs (application programming interfaces), which provide a steady flow of Twitter messages in real-time to developers. The ability to filter by language will also be enabled for applications that query for messages on a per-request basis. The filtering by popularity feature will go live on Feb. 20, with the language feature to be added shortly after that.
For developers that wish to use the new filtering capability, the company said Twitter messages will initially be marked "medium," "low" or "none," values, with a "high" value to be added in the future. The "medium" and "high" levels are on par with the "Top Tweets" filter in its search results.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts