Twitter apps gain access to 'Top Tweets' with new API metadata
Social network will soon let developers create tools to filter messages
IDG News Service - Twitter will soon give developers the ability to filter messages by popularity and language.
The company said in a blog posting Wednesday that it will add two new fields to the public metadata it associates with messages on its service, which are popularly known as Tweets. The first is a "filter_level" that allows developers to screen out only popular items, roughly equivalent to the way users of Twitter's home page can choose to view only "Top Tweets" in search results.
In its public FAQ, Twitter defines "Top Tweets" as those that "many other Twitter users have engaged with and thought were useful." It says they are filtered out by an algorithm that looks for items that many people are interacting with and sharing.
Twitter will also add the ability to filter by language, the same feature that is available to those using its advanced search page. The new functionality will give developers the obvious ability to provide more relevant results to users, but it will also provide a new way to analyze global reactions to events on Twitter.
The new fields will give developers a better way to sort through the mass of Twitter messages returned for popular searches and subjects. Twitter is working to fine tune users' ability to sort through its data, also adding features such as verification of people using Twitter, such as public figures and journalists.
The two new fields will be added to Twitter's streaming APIs (application programming interfaces), which provide a steady flow of Twitter messages in real-time to developers. The ability to filter by language will also be enabled for applications that query for messages on a per-request basis. The filtering by popularity feature will go live on Feb. 20, with the language feature to be added shortly after that.
For developers that wish to use the new filtering capability, the company said Twitter messages will initially be marked "medium," "low" or "none," values, with a "high" value to be added in the future. The "medium" and "high" levels are on par with the "Top Tweets" filter in its search results.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts