Apple is Japan's top phone maker in 2012, says research firm
Counterpoint says Apple edged past domestic makers Sharp and Fujitsu last year, leading a foreign influx
IDG News Service - Apple sold more phones in Japan than any other manufacturer last year, rising above local manufacturers for the first time, according to a research firm.
The report from Counterpoint Research, based in Hong Kong, said Apple had a 15% market share in the country for the full year, just above the 14% market share held by both Sharp and Fujitsu. The report also said that foreign manufacturers accounted for half of the market during the fourth quarter.
Japan's mobile market has long taken an independent path from the rest of the world, employing its own network technologies and quickly embracing technologies like mobile cameras, NFC touch-card payments, and mobile TV broadcasts. The country's cellular market has been called a "Galapagos" environment because it evolved separately from the rest of the world, and companies like Sharp have embraced the concept and used it in their branding.
"Japan was once considered to be like a Galapagos Island, an isolated terrain, in terms of mobile technology," Counterpoint said. "The wave of smartphones has changed the situation now and it looks like the Japanese market is a market that can be transformed after all for better or worse."
The analysis jives with other recent data that show foreign manufacturers, led by Apple, are making inroads in Japan as smartphones proliferate. IDC said in December that Apple accounted for a quarter of all smartphone shipments during the third quarter of 2012, beating out Fujitsu.
Samsung has had less success in Japan than Apple. This is in part because Apple was an established brand before the smartphone boom, and also due to heavy marketing and low pricing on iPhone contracts from local carriers.
Domestic carrier Softbank has pushed the iPhone aggressively since it launched the original in 2008, and rival carrier KDDI began selling it in 2011. NTT DoCoMo, the country's largest carrier, has hinted it may negotiate to sell the phone at some point, as it has lost subscribers despite offering Samsung's flagship Galaxy and Note models in its lineup.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts