Oracle contests Google's 'fair use' of Java code in appeal
Oracle contests a decision by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
IDG News Service - An appeals court should rule, as a matter of law, that Google's commercial use of Java in a market where Oracle already competed was not fair use, the software company said in a filing.
"This Court should not stop at finding that Google infringed Oracle's copyrighted work. A remand to decide fair use is pointless," Oracle said in a filing on Monday to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Oracle is appealing a decision by Judge William H. Alsup of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
Google was cleared last May of most of the infringement claims in Oracle's lawsuit, although it was found to have copied a few small portions of Oracle's Java code.
The main issue at trial was whether Google had copied 37 of Oracle's Java APIs (application programming interfaces) in its Android OS. But the judge ruled in May that the APIs were not eligible for copyright protection under U.S. law.
The jury hung on Google's fair-use defense, and thereafter the District Court ruled that the infringed code and organization of the 37 packages were devoid of copyright protection, Oracle said in its filing.
Android was designed to be incompatible with and fragment the Java platform, and was also designed to replace Java SE derivative works in the smartphone market, Oracle said in the filing. By offering a Java-friendly programming environment without licensing fees, Google thus hurt Oracle's already very lucrative business opportunities in licensing to the mobile and smartphone market, it added.
"Nothing about Google's use was fair," Oracle said in the filing. Google could not be immediately reached for comment.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts