Cyberstalking with LinkedIn
Even with just small bits of information, you can find the person you forgot to grab a business card from
IDG News Service - You just left cocktail hour or a networking event and forgot to grab a business card from the person you'd been chatting with. Don't kick yourself. Instead, log on to LinkedIn to do some cyberstalking. It's a much better resource than Facebook, because with just bits and pieces of information, you're still likely to be able to find your target.
See a screencast of this how-to on YouTube.
The big benefit of using LinkedIn to search for someone is that users generally want to be found, unlike some users on Facebook who exclude themselves from search or messaging. Many LinkedIn members also display a picture of themselves. With more than 200 million members, there's a good chance you will find the person you're seeking.
Usually a first name, company and geographic location will help you find your target the fastest.
Start by opening the LinkedIn home screen and clicking on "advanced" next to the search box in the top right-hand corner. On the advanced search page, enter in as much information as you can. If you don't remember a name, sometimes just a company and location will present you with enough results to jog your memory.
In the title and company fields, you have the option to choose "current" or "past," depending on whether a person currently works at a certain company or holds a specific title, or if it was something further down the rA(c)sumA(c).
Members with a premium account will have additional options in advanced search, including sorting by seniority level, years of experience and company size.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!