Yahoo aims to strengthen mobile presence with Alike buy
The app is designed to give recommendations based on user favorites
IDG News Service - Yahoo is bidding to strengthen its presence in the increasingly important mobile space with the acquisition of Alike, a location discovery app.
The move comes as Yahoo faces rising pressure to stay relevant and offer mobile products for consumers as it struggles to compete against Google, Facebook and other social networks.
Alike is designed to let users enter a specific location or business into their device, and ithen provides recommendations on places to go that share qualities with the original place.
For instance, a person can enter the name of a boutique, single-origin, small-batch roasted coffee shop in San Francisco, and the app can return a list of similar cafA(c)s in Portland, according to a video posted on the service's website.
"We believe that distilled information, deeply personalized and made accessible anytime and anywhere, is what makes mobile experiences a part of our customers' daily lives," the Alike team posted Tuesday morning on its website.
"In Yahoo we've found a team as excited about this vision as we are, and who are serious about making it real," they said.
The acquisition follows recent remarks by Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer on the importance of mobile in restoring the company's growth.
During the company's fourth-quarter earnings call last month, for instance, Mayer cited the firm's redesigned Flickr iOS app and Yahoo Mail as positive steps for the company, but added that "there's a lot of work still to be done."
In October Yahoo also bought Stamped, a mobile app for recording and sharing recommendations of people's favorite places or things.
But the extent to which the Alike acquisition will allow Yahoo to stake a claim in mobile location discovery remains unclear, given that Alike occupies a similar space as industry stalwarts like Yelp and Foursquare.
Other players in the location discovery space include Facebook's mobile Nearby feature, which recommends places to go based on users' friends, and also Google+ Local, which gives place recommendations based on users' circles, past reviews and current location.
Interestingly, the Alike app's partners have included Foursquare, as well as Yext, Citysearch, Factual, Singleplatform and Sqoot.
As of Tuesday, the Alike applications for both iPhone and the desktop are no longer active, the team reported. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.
During the afternoon Yahoo's Mayer will participate in a Q&A with financial analysts at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference in San Francisco.
Yahoo did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- Who's afraid of the big (data) bad wolf? Survive the big data storm by getting ahead of integration and governance functional requirements This paper provides a detailed review of the best practices clients should consider before embarking on their big data integration projects.
- Understanding big data so you can act with confidence Automating information integration and governance and employing it at the point of data creation helps organizations boost confidence in their big data.
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts