Yahoo aims to strengthen mobile presence with Alike buy
The app is designed to give recommendations based on user favorites
IDG News Service - Yahoo is bidding to strengthen its presence in the increasingly important mobile space with the acquisition of Alike, a location discovery app.
The move comes as Yahoo faces rising pressure to stay relevant and offer mobile products for consumers as it struggles to compete against Google, Facebook and other social networks.
Alike is designed to let users enter a specific location or business into their device, and ithen provides recommendations on places to go that share qualities with the original place.
For instance, a person can enter the name of a boutique, single-origin, small-batch roasted coffee shop in San Francisco, and the app can return a list of similar cafA(c)s in Portland, according to a video posted on the service's website.
"We believe that distilled information, deeply personalized and made accessible anytime and anywhere, is what makes mobile experiences a part of our customers' daily lives," the Alike team posted Tuesday morning on its website.
"In Yahoo we've found a team as excited about this vision as we are, and who are serious about making it real," they said.
The acquisition follows recent remarks by Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer on the importance of mobile in restoring the company's growth.
During the company's fourth-quarter earnings call last month, for instance, Mayer cited the firm's redesigned Flickr iOS app and Yahoo Mail as positive steps for the company, but added that "there's a lot of work still to be done."
In October Yahoo also bought Stamped, a mobile app for recording and sharing recommendations of people's favorite places or things.
But the extent to which the Alike acquisition will allow Yahoo to stake a claim in mobile location discovery remains unclear, given that Alike occupies a similar space as industry stalwarts like Yelp and Foursquare.
Other players in the location discovery space include Facebook's mobile Nearby feature, which recommends places to go based on users' friends, and also Google+ Local, which gives place recommendations based on users' circles, past reviews and current location.
Interestingly, the Alike app's partners have included Foursquare, as well as Yext, Citysearch, Factual, Singleplatform and Sqoot.
As of Tuesday, the Alike applications for both iPhone and the desktop are no longer active, the team reported. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.
During the afternoon Yahoo's Mayer will participate in a Q&A with financial analysts at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference in San Francisco.
Yahoo did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts