State of the Union expected to heat up social nets
Where to watch, tweet and post during tonight's political event
Computerworld - Social networks are expected to light up tonight as users react to the president's State of the Union address.
President Obama will give the first State of the Union address of his second term at 9 p.m ET. With Obama expected to touch on political hot buttons like jobs, the economy and guns, people are expected to take to their favorite social networks to comment on the issues, vent their frustrations and debate with their friends.
With politics, it's all about creating buzz for a candidate, political party or cause.
"The hope is activity from your supporters will be viewed as grassroots enthusiasm rather than pre-planned boosterism," Olds said. "When it comes to politics, it's all about getting your supporters to help you win the PR war."
For tonight's State of the Union address, Twitter will be a busy place. With more than 450 members of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate having Twitter accounts, there are bound to be a lot of tweets about the event.
Obama's camp will be tweeting during the speech from both @WHLive and @whitehouse, while Republican leaders will be taking questions using the hashtag #SOTUGOP.
To tweet about the address or the Republican responses, add the hashtag #SOTU to the tweets.
After the debate, a team of senior White House officials will be on Twitter to answer questions that are tweeted with the hashtags #WHchat and #SOTU, according to Twitter.
It won't all be about Twitter, though.
The White House will be live streaming the address on WhiteHouse.gov, adding graphics, data and charts about the issues.
Mobile users can download a free White House mobile app for the iPhone, iPad or Android platforms. The app also provides news from the White House, blogs, press briefings, photos and access to video archives.
Microsoft's Bing is also getting in on politics.
The company created an interactive State of the Union address page, where people can see related tweets from journalists and political pundits, along with links to the latest news stories on the speech, responses and a chart of social network reaction.
On Thursday at 4:50 p.m. ET, Obama is set to host a Google+ hangout and take questions from the public.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Simpana IntelliSnap Technology Datasheet With IntelliSnap you can maximize the value of your snapshot technology while dramatically reducing management overhead and complexity.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!