State of the Union expected to heat up social nets
Where to watch, tweet and post during tonight's political event
Computerworld - Social networks are expected to light up tonight as users react to the president's State of the Union address.
President Obama will give the first State of the Union address of his second term at 9 p.m ET. With Obama expected to touch on political hot buttons like jobs, the economy and guns, people are expected to take to their favorite social networks to comment on the issues, vent their frustrations and debate with their friends.
With politics, it's all about creating buzz for a candidate, political party or cause.
"The hope is activity from your supporters will be viewed as grassroots enthusiasm rather than pre-planned boosterism," Olds said. "When it comes to politics, it's all about getting your supporters to help you win the PR war."
For tonight's State of the Union address, Twitter will be a busy place. With more than 450 members of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate having Twitter accounts, there are bound to be a lot of tweets about the event.
Obama's camp will be tweeting during the speech from both @WHLive and @whitehouse, while Republican leaders will be taking questions using the hashtag #SOTUGOP.
To tweet about the address or the Republican responses, add the hashtag #SOTU to the tweets.
After the debate, a team of senior White House officials will be on Twitter to answer questions that are tweeted with the hashtags #WHchat and #SOTU, according to Twitter.
It won't all be about Twitter, though.
The White House will be live streaming the address on WhiteHouse.gov, adding graphics, data and charts about the issues.
Mobile users can download a free White House mobile app for the iPhone, iPad or Android platforms. The app also provides news from the White House, blogs, press briefings, photos and access to video archives.
Microsoft's Bing is also getting in on politics.
The company created an interactive State of the Union address page, where people can see related tweets from journalists and political pundits, along with links to the latest news stories on the speech, responses and a chart of social network reaction.
On Thursday at 4:50 p.m. ET, Obama is set to host a Google+ hangout and take questions from the public.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86 Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!