State of the Union expected to heat up social nets
Where to watch, tweet and post during tonight's political event
Computerworld - Social networks are expected to light up tonight as users react to the president's State of the Union address.
President Obama will give the first State of the Union address of his second term at 9 p.m ET. With Obama expected to touch on political hot buttons like jobs, the economy and guns, people are expected to take to their favorite social networks to comment on the issues, vent their frustrations and debate with their friends.
With politics, it's all about creating buzz for a candidate, political party or cause.
"The hope is activity from your supporters will be viewed as grassroots enthusiasm rather than pre-planned boosterism," Olds said. "When it comes to politics, it's all about getting your supporters to help you win the PR war."
For tonight's State of the Union address, Twitter will be a busy place. With more than 450 members of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate having Twitter accounts, there are bound to be a lot of tweets about the event.
Obama's camp will be tweeting during the speech from both @WHLive and @whitehouse, while Republican leaders will be taking questions using the hashtag #SOTUGOP.
To tweet about the address or the Republican responses, add the hashtag #SOTU to the tweets.
After the debate, a team of senior White House officials will be on Twitter to answer questions that are tweeted with the hashtags #WHchat and #SOTU, according to Twitter.
It won't all be about Twitter, though.
The White House will be live streaming the address on WhiteHouse.gov, adding graphics, data and charts about the issues.
Mobile users can download a free White House mobile app for the iPhone, iPad or Android platforms. The app also provides news from the White House, blogs, press briefings, photos and access to video archives.
Microsoft's Bing is also getting in on politics.
The company created an interactive State of the Union address page, where people can see related tweets from journalists and political pundits, along with links to the latest news stories on the speech, responses and a chart of social network reaction.
On Thursday at 4:50 p.m. ET, Obama is set to host a Google+ hangout and take questions from the public.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts