LinkedIn's SlideShare boosts analytics capabilities
People who share their presentations with hand-picked recipients can now track in detail their usage and engagement
IDG News Service - SlideShare, a presentation-sharing site used primarily by professionals, has added a premium feature that lets members closely monitor usage of their presentations.
The detailed analytics data is intended to help presentation owners in their jobs, whether it is by fine-tuning sales efforts, sharpening marketing strategies or revising corporate training materials.
The new feature is called SendTracker and lets people share their presentations with hand-picked recipients via unique links that can be sent via email or through other methods, like social media direct messaging.
Once the recipients access the presentations by clicking on the links, SlideShare tracks and compiles a variety of engagement metrics, such as how much time each person spent looking at each slide and how many times they viewed the presentation.
"This feature can be broadly applicable," said Ross Mayfield, SlideShare's Director of Business Development.
For example, a salesperson can decide based on the analytics data when might be a good time to follow up with a prospect, while marketers could monitor whether employees are using outdated marketing material, he said. Educators and corporate trainers would use the data to tweak learning resources.
SendTracker is available at no extra cost to subscribers of SlideShare paid accounts -- called SlidePro -- which start at $19 per month. However, SlideShare will let users of its free version try out SendTracker with one of their presentations. Members can only share presentations via SendTracker that they have uploaded to their documents library.
SlideShare, which was acquired last year by LinkedIn, boasts about 60 million monthly visitors who upload, share, review, rate and comment on presentations, documents, videos and webinars. Its users include the White House, NASA, the United Nations, IBM, Pfizer and McGraw-Hill.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Omnichannel: From Buzzword to Strategy Customers demand a seamless experience across channels, especially mobile. Read this whitepaper for a research-based framework for using omnichannel for higher customer engagement.
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Developing a Winning Mobile Strategy: Playing Offense vs Defense Don't lose time and money with a "throw an app against a wall to see if sticks" approach to mobile. You need a...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more