IBM supercomputer takes on new role in health arena
There's reportedly a Watson tablet and computer app doctors can use to help treat lung cancer.
PC World - IBM's Watson supercomputer has gone from game show king to doctor's office helper.
You may recall the epic man vs. machine battle two years ago in which the supercomputer beat former champions on the show Jeopardy.
Well, now there's a Watson tablet and computer app doctors can use to help treat lung cancer and another for health insurance companies to figure out which claims to pay, reports The Associated Press.
For the cancer program, Watson analyzed 1,500 lung cancer cases from medical records, plus millions of pages of medical text. It also is able to learn when corrected for generating a wrong answer. Armed with all this data, Watson will suggest to doctors which treatments will most likely succeed, prioritized by its level of confidence in them.
The Maine Center for Cancer Medicine and WestMed in New York's Westchester County will both be using the lung cancer app by March.
Health insurer WellPoint, which actually will be selling both applications as part of an agreement with IBM, is already using the Watson app in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and Wisconsin to sift through insurance claims and determine which ones to authorize.
Since Watson's victory on Jeopardy, IBM says the supercomputer's performance has increased by 240 percent and been used to analyze finance and health care data as well as in a university setting to research big data, analytics and cognitive computing.
The company also is moving some of its underlying technologies from the supercomputer into new entry-level servers used by SMBs. IBM's recently announced Power Express servers will integrate some hardware and software elements derived from Watson.
Expect to hear more about Watson--IBM says its use "will be expanding to production-level deployments in new use cases and industries going forward."
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!